Age of Empires II crashing with error "Could not initialize graphics system" on Windows XP SP3

Hi everyone.

I'd like to start off by saying this is supposed to be in the XP Gaming section, although either it was purposely redirecting here, or there's a bug somewhere in social.answers, so don't blame me :P

Anyhow, I decided to install AOEII today. After installing it, I updated it to 2.0a, then I tried to run it. It crashed with an error beginning with "Could not initialize graphics system...", with nothing very helpful after that. Nothing in the event viewer pops up, I have no choice but to click ok and close the game. This occurs right after it sounds like my CRT's resolution changes and before the intro video starts.

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP3, with a nvidia Geforce FX 5500 w/ 128MB onboard memory (1GB system). The drivers for my graphics card are updated to 175.19, and I just tried updating the Direct X end user runtime, nothing new in that area.

If anyone can help, that would be great. (Also, to save us some trouble, I've already run DirectDraw diagnostics, as well as completely removing and reinstalling my graphics drivers.)

P.S. Is it just me or are a lot of people having trouble with this game?

Answer
Answer

It seems that installing and Launching the expansion pack rather than the base game seems to work.

Thank you for helping anyways, though :)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2020 Views 3,191 Applies to: