Age of Empires 2 won't work with Windows 10.

I've had Age of Empires the collector edition for about a couple of years now, and I've installed it on Windows 10, but when I try to play it a error message pops up. "Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw."

And what's more interesting is that Windows 10 plays Age of Empires 1 which is the first game in the series. But Windows 10 will not play Age of Empires 2 which is newer than the old one.

Answer
Answer

Hi Dale,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with the game Age of Empires II. I will certainly help you.

The issue could be due to the compatibly conflict between Video Card and DirectDraw.

DirectDraw is used to render graphics in applications where top performance is important. DirectDraw uses hardware acceleration if it is available on the computer. DirectDraw allows direct access to video memory.

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the link given below in the order presented. Known video issues in Age of Empires II
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830651

Please reach back to us if you still face difficulty with the game Age of Empires II. We will be happy to help.

Thank you

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 9,542 Applies to: