After Windows 10 version 1809 update Build 17763.1, my Backup and Recovery now shows error 0x80070013 and will not backup as before

Did October 2 update to win 10 ver 1809 and now my backup and restore will not backup, keep getting Error 0x80070013.

ASUS Ultrabook

i5-3317U

Help

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 9,191 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Though the System Image backup feature is deprecated, but the error code hints your drive has an issue

0x00000013

ERROR_WRITE_PROTECT

The media is write-protected.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc231199.aspx

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same here on 2 different computers, one with an internal HDD for backup purposes, the other with an external one.

Backup stops with error code 0x80070013 on both machines at every try.

Neither of the dedicated backup drives is write protected.

Very frustrating, since everything was working flawlessly before the latest update (1809, 17763.1).

Please fix this sooner than later.

Cheers

Francois

Sorry this didn't help.

This was not my error, my error code was 0x80070013, not 0x00000013, brand new one month old Toshiba external HDD, and I even have Ownership rights in the drive. It worked fine for about a month until the update. Thanks anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Windows users, welcome.

I am the OP of this thread and have discovered the sad reason for my frustration. For background I bought a brand new USB external Toshiba HDD to use for backups only (formatted correctly and no other data on the drive), and had full access control as well as Ownership of the drive in Security permissions. For about a month the Backups worked flawlessly with Windows 10 version 1803. All was well.

Then on October 2, 2018 I updated Windows 10 to version 1809 and the Backup procedure would no longer complete as I would get to about 97% and then get the 0x80070013 error. I did extensive research and tried multiple solutions offered both here in the Community as well as with other IT friends.

The sad truth is that yet again here is a classic example of an improved Windows version that degrades or disables a particular useful Windows native function for its users that is now unable to do what it did prior to the update. Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a temporary flaw and they will fix it, but I am discovering more and more users are having this issue after they upgrade

SOLUTION:

I purchased the Home Version of Macrium and it does what I need done flawlessly. Image, file backup, everything. Backup was a great feature of Windows, too bad improvements to the OS are at a cost to such advantageous and vital native functions such as this.

I do not wish to go on endlessly trying to work with this thread for the next fifteen months while everyone and their brother offers ideas as well as occasional Microsoft employees offering out of context advice or suggestions. Macrium works, plain and simple and the license is perpetual. As long as the company stays open, I'm good. Just sad that I had to turn to another software company to do something my OS once did flawlessly and native to its system. As a consumer, it makes Apple and Chromebooks look really appealing. 

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Francois, I went with Macrium, they have a free version which will do what you need.

Just a thought.

I'm finished trying to play "let's update Windows, oops something won't work now, ask the Community, endless back and forth for months and maybe find a resolution." Tired of playing that game.

No more.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 Backup systems are being depracated and are planned to remove in a future release of Windows.

Reflect is my choice as well:

lhttps://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backup-restore-macrium-reflect.html

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erik,

went with Acronis myself.

I don't mind forking out a reasonable amount of money for a good cause;-)

Been burnt before with data loss, so the moto is: never again...

MS could at least warn us of major changes when releasing major updates.

Cheers

Francois

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) on my Windows 10 computer running the latest 1809 version (October 2018 update). After reverting to the previous Windows 10 version (1803, April 2018 update), that backup program works again.

The free version of Macrium Reflect seems like a good program, but I don't want to just make system image backups, I also want to back up and restore individual files (kind of like Time Machine on Mac OS, I choose the folders to back up, the backup program syncs the contents, and I can restore some or all files, even on other computers).

I'm sure third-party backup programs work well, but I don't know how much I should trust the free ones, and I'd like to avoid paying upwards of $50 for an alternative to something that is included with Windows for free, and stopped working because something else in the operating system has changed and broken this deprecated feature.

I don't want to use File History because it's too limited. Microsoft discontinued a feature without offering a suitable replacement. I think a small fix for this program could be made, but I'm afraid it's not happening.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I strongly recommend that you use File History to back up or restore your files, but if you STILL wish to create system images:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then click Command Prompt (Admin) / Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  2. Type the following command and press ENTER; for example:

WBADMIN START BACKUP -backuptarget:e: -include:c: -allcritical -quiet

Note that E: may be your external hard drive.

Best regards,

Michael Higham

Michael Higham

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I see the same problem on both of my Windows computers after updating from 1803 to 1809.  One machine uses a directly connected USB drive, the other backs up over the network to a NAS drive, but the failure is the same on each.  It's clearly just a bug and one that needs to be fixed ASAP.  It seems like 1809 shipped with a bunch of issues ... there was a Cumulative Update today (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464330/windows-10-update-kb4464330), but this issue was not addressed in it.

I bugged this on Feedback Hub ... I encourage everyone affected by this bug to do the same.

Sorry this didn't help.