after updating windows 10 wifi extremely slow ?? how to fix ?

fggvghy

Hi Sashima,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

The Network Adapter troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the adapter in the computer for any known issues and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo  from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)       Click on “Network Adapter”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the exact same issue after updating my laptop to windows 10. wifi speed around 7mbps. all of my other machines are running at 30mbs.  I've updated network driver, rebooted, updated router firmware, etc. 

I ran the above troubleshooting steps and it says everything is running fine.  

Any thoughts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems to be a canned response I am seeing from the Microsoft people in these forums. "Run the Network Troubleshooter" - which generally yields nothing.

What I cannot understand is why on earth the WiFi was fine on versions 10159 and 10162 and then we get the GA release and BLAH - it ceases to run properly. Getting dial-up speeds is unacceptable, and reading all over the web, this seems to be common. What is Microsoft doing? Asking us to run the Network Troubleshooter.

Well, if this was a true upgrade, all the setting from Win7 or Win8.1 should have been migrated properly and thus the network setting should remain the same, correct? With that in mind, the speeds should be the same. What's even more evidence to the issue being Win10 is that the same hardware with Win7 or 8.1 reinstalled all perform great with WiFi network tests (out of the box with default MS drivers).

It is only Win10GA that seems to be having this issue.

Is Microsoft looking at this?  I have had to go back to 8.1 because the speed is unacceptable, and NO it is not my hardware or configuration.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off Location.  That should solve the problem immediately.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While I thank you all for the replies and this suggestion. It doesn't work.

You see, as part of the initial setup of Win10, I disable location services and all the other Microsoft Spy services.

When Windows setup is complete, and I have the desktop I also disable the peer sharing for Windows updates.  The machine (Lenovo T440s with the Intel 7260AC WiFi card) is fine when hard wired. It basically sucks on WiFi.

My WiFi adapter settings are as follows:

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4            20MHz
802.11n Channel Width for 5.2            Auto
AdHoc Channel 802.11b/g                 1
AdHic QoS mode                                WMM Disabled
ARP Offload for WoWLAN                 Enabled
Bluetooth AMP                                   Enabled
GTK rekeying for WoWLAN               Enabled
HT Mode                                            VHT Mode
Mixed Mode Protection                   CTS-to-self Enabled
NS Offload for WowLAN                  Enabled
Preferred Band                                1. No Preference
Roaming Aggressiveness                3. Medium
Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect            Disabled
Transmit Power                                 5. Highest
Wake on Magic Packet                      Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match                    Enabled
Wireless Mode                               6. 802.11 a/b/g

I have tried changing the Wireless Mode and Roaming aggressiveness to no avail. 

Funny thing is that these are the same settings that Win 8.1 uses for this adapter OOB so I don't know what Win 10 is doing differently now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

John, I'm sorry to hear the turning off Location in the Activity Center didn't work for you.  It has worked for several other people so I know it is helpful in some cases.

Things I did before turning off Location included uninstalling One Note and turning off Bluetooth.  I don't think the Bluetooth was the issue and I don't know why One Note would matter but I was willing to try just about anything.  I also uninstalled the driver for the wireless card and then re-installed it.  It is possible that doing one of these in conjunction with Location solved my problem.

I know you said that you said that things were fine when wired and not good wireless but be sure to run a speed test in both situations so you can quantify the difference.  My wired speed test was at the highest speed and stayed near the top during the entire speed test.  With Location on, my Wi-Fi speed test sometimes hit close to the maximum speed but spent most of the time at about 1/5th of the top speed and was constantly fluctuating.  I mention this only to give you some reference as to what I was experiencing before turning off Location.

It is strange that Wi-Fi worked fine under Window 8.1 and doesn't in Windows 10.  However that was the case for me until I turned off Location.

Good luck in solving this issue.  I know first hand how frustrating it is!

Ron

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ron, thanks for the reply.

I have also disabled Bluetooth, and any other items that I figure would be interfering with WiFi. Funny that OneNote would affect you - just goes to show how messed up the WiFi is in Windows 10.  Things don't make sense.

I have also uninstalled/reinstalled the WiFi drivers from Microsoft, Intel and Lenovo - again, to no avail.

I do notice that this issue seems to be prevalent on this brand of WiFi card, across multiple vendors -- not just Lenovo, which is why I am asking this - why won't the 7260AC work properly in Win10, when it was 100% in Win8.1

Oh, speedtest.net reports that hardwired I am very close to what my ISP permits.  On WiFi (if the connection remains stable it can be anything from 33.8Kbps (yes, kilo-bits) to 1Mbps - pathetic, huh?

While I was on the Windows Insider program, all BETA versions of Windows 10 had the WiFi performing near where it should - only when it went GA did I have issues - both on upgrade or Fresh install.

So, I think I will wait until Windows 10 is a little more mature before adopting.

Argh!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 10,358 Applies to: