Advanced scaling settings - how to reset?

Hi all,

So, I tried using a custom scaling size for an app (exe properties -> compatibility -> change high dpi -> open advanced) because I was trying to scale an old app originally made for 640x480 resolutions to my 1440p monitor. It's this setting here. I added "100" as the custom scaling value.

Now I don't want it anymore, because it doesn't work the way I thought it would. It changes my entire monitor resolution to 480p which messes up my other windows and desktop icons, so I want to turn it off.

Except that I can't. I go back to advanced scaling settings, and when I remove the value I had there (either by clicking on x on the right of the text box, or by just deleting the number), the apply button becomes greyed out. Despite when I first opened these settings when there was nothing in the textbox (it had the default '100 - 500' range, awaiting a user custom value) apply is only actually clickable when I enter a value.

If I follow the quick guide here (about half-way down, how to turn off custom scaling), they say "Step 3: Remove any number added in the Custom scaling box and hit Apply." But I literally can't do that! Removing any added number greys out apply! Why does this article say I can?

TLDR: How do I remove the custom value, then apply the removal of the custom value?

Answer
Answer
I was testing a theory and just noticed something.

Right click your Desktop, choose Display Settings.

In the Scale and Layout section is that grayed out and red text indicating you have set a custom scale factor and is there a blue link to clear that and log out?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 10,611 Applies to: