Administrator account missing in safe mode, I can’t change the task bar settings and the start menu no longer display the list of recently opened files and programs

Original title: Missing Administrator Account and property settings‏_

When I attempt to fix problems with windows property setting, it does not say as I have selected. As I try to go into safe mode to log in as the Administrator, I see that the Administrator’s account is missing. I have Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Fix It Center and Free Windows Registry repair installed on my laptop and none of the programs are detecting anything wrong. Yet I can’t change the task bar settings and the start menu no longer display the list of recently opened files and programs as selected in the property. Is there any suggessions and thanks for your assistant.

Hi fsymonds,

1. Do you remember any changes to your computer prior to the issue occurring?

2. Are you able to log in as administrator in normal mode?

To log in as administrator in normal mode

a. Click start, click log off.
b. Then on the login screen press ctrl + atl + del twice you will allow to enter the user name manually.
c. Type in administrator in the user field and password.

In the meantime, you may do system restore using Windows Vista installation DVD and check if that fixes the issue.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

With remarks to the administrator's account. Yes I have tried your suggession and the only thing that has accurded are windows updates. I've tried to uninstall SP2 (KB948465) but that installation is not detected in the Programs and Features/ Uninstall an update. Yet when I look at the property of my laptop, it said that SP2 is the current version of windows. Is there another version of SP2? I was hoping that if I uninstall the current SP2 that's on my laptop an then install (KB948465) version, that it would fix my property problems. I was wondering if there was a way to setup a new Administrator's account that is only accessible from safe mode? I am really at a lost here. normally I can figure this out, but not today. Thanks for any additional assistant that anyone can provide.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 3,201 Applies to: