Activating Windows 10 Offline

I recently purchased a PC that came with Windows 10 Professional (I ordered Windows 7). This is an offline PC and I appear to be unable to activate it.

Initially I tried to activate over the phone (slui 4) but the activation id reported by the PC is apparently invalid.

My understanding is that I have change my product key first. The last 5 digits of my product key (as reported by Windows) does not match the product key provided by the manufacturer.

However, I cannot enter my product key. If I try with slmgr /ipk, I get an error:

"The software licensing service reported that the product key is invalid."

If I try slui 3, Windows wants to connect to the internet for activation and fails. This also reports that the product key is invalid.

I am thinking that I cannot enter my product key because I have no internet. The supplying company insists that the product key is valid.

As I see it, there is a catch-22:

- I cannot enter the product key without internet access

- I can activate offline but I can't get the correct activation id until I enter the product key.

Am I misinterpreting the situation?

Is using Windows 10 offline practical?

Will asking for a preinstalled product key when purchasing a new PC avoid the problem in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated.

|
Hi Russell, Windows 10 cannot be activated offline, the activation model in Windows 10 is different from previous versions of Windows.

When you initially put the PC online a digital signature is generated from your hardware - mainly your motherboard and that is stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers, in case you ever need to re-install Windows 10

What you can do is either ask the seller to activate Windows 10 prior to delivery, or go to an Internet Cafe and activate Windows, after that Windows 10 will happily work away without being connected to the Internet . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks exceedingly for your response.

However, I am a little confused (well a lot confused). Offline activation is clearly possible.

slui 4 brings up a dialog for offline activation.

If I understand you correctly, entering the product key offline is not possible.

I am trying to change the product key which appears to be impossible offline. I didn't enter the product key during setup since the supplier failed to put the sticker on the box (apparently this is a security hazard).

So I gather that I wouldn't have been able to enter the product key during setup in any case.

It is impossible for me to connect the PC to the internet. So I'm not sure where to go from here. I have found references online that suggest that Windows 10 will continue to be almost fully functional without activation. If this is correct, my best course may be to live with what I currently have.

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Russell, after doing some reading it may be possible for you to activate via Phone Activation, please read the following article . . .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versi...(v=winembedded.81)

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

That link doesn't appear to work - 404.

I will certainly take your advice in the future when purchasing Windows 10 PCs, that is ask for Windows 10 to be preactivated.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

OK Russell!

Power to the Developer!

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2021 Views 30,886 Applies to: