Acer M3985 with Windows 8.1 stuck in a repair loop

Okay so I was logged in like normal, I put the computer into sleep mode, came back after an hour and when I turned it on a warning message came up (I don't remember what it said) I logged back in and the desktop was black and all of the shortcuts and folders had there icons missing. When I went to click on one of them a message came up saying something like: "file not found, delete shortcut?". I decided to restart my computer. When I booted it back up it when through a recovery process where it said it might take a hour to complete, after that it restarted and now it's stuck in a loop. I turn on my computer, comes up with the acer logo and says "preparing automatic repair" then it goes to "diagnosing your PC" then "attempting repairs" it then restarts without shutting down and repeats the automatic repair.

Hi Dazie,

It seems that the computer is stuck in an automatic repair loop. This happens when the system is unable to complete the automatic repair due to corrupt or missing files. Follow these methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1:

If you do not have a Windows 8.1 DVD or a recovery drive, refer to the article and try to create a USB recovery drive which will help you in repairing the operating system:

Create a USB recovery drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Note: Creating a recovery drive will erase anything already stored on your USB flash drive. Use an empty USB flash drive or make sure to transfer any important data from your USB flash drive to another storage device before using it to create a USB recovery drive.

I would suggest you to perform a system restore to an earlier point of time before the issue occurred:

1. Boot from the Windows 8.1 DVD/USB.
  2. Click on Repair your computer.
  3. Click on Troubleshoot.
  4. Click on Advanced options and click System restore.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

Use the recovery drive created to repair the computer and check if it helps:

1. Boot from the Windows 8.1 recovery drive/DVD.
  2. Click on Repair your computer.
  3. Click on Troubleshoot.
  4. Click on Advanced options and click Automatic repair.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions and finish the repair.

Let us know the results. If you have any further issues on the computer, please post your question related to Windows and we will be happy to help you.

Rohit S

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That method requires me to be logged in to create the USB recovery drive, but I can't even get to the logon screen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dazie,

Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows operating system?

You need to create the USB recovery drive from a working computer which has Windows 8.1 operating system. You may use that recovery drive and proceed with the steps.

Let us know the results.

Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2024 Views 1,908 Applies to: