Account Picture Error - Windows 10

Hello I am on a Windows 10 Home with the Creator's Update, running on an Dell Inspiron 5559. I am running into an error while trying to change my account picture. I get this message that says "Account picture error" and underneath it says "Setting the account picture failed please try again."

I tried a couple scans such as the sfc /scannow, and the dism cleanup image scan. Both reported back with no errors. 

I have even tried to change the folder name of the ProgramData ------> Microsoft -----> Windows -----> SystemData, and getting everything done to change the SystemData folder to SystemData.old, and rebooted as suggested. Still to no avail. I am frustrated, and hoping there is some solution out there, and wondering why this error occured. I did do a disk cleanup and ccleaner and cleared Windows Old Instillation files. Would that have had something to do with it? I've done that in the past with cleanup's and hadn't run into the issue. But hope there's a cause and a solution. Thank you kindly in advance for any help that may come my way! Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. <3. 

Hi Caroline,

There are some possible reason why you can't change your account picture. This could be due to Small picture/image size,

Broken/corrupted picture or Windows Settings problem.

We would like to know some additional information:

• Have you tried using other picture(s) to check if it will work?
  • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
  • What is the file type of the picture?

We will wait for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Caroline,

There are some possible reason why you can't change your account picture. This could be due to Small picture/image size,

Broken/corrupted picture or Windows Settings problem.

We would like to know some additional information:

• Have you tried using other picture(s) to check if it will work?
  • Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
  • What is the file type of the picture?

We will wait for your response.

Hey Remon, 

Yes I have tried multiple pictures.

I did have to install the Windows 10 Creators Update and ended up deleting the old version in the disk clean up. I know that prohibits you from being able to go back to the old Windows, but would it have been why I can't change my picture now?

I have tried jpgs, pngs, bmp's, etc.

Thank you for replying. Hope this can be fixed. :).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2023 Views 653 Applies to: