99% memory usage of 8GB of memory?

First of all, yes I've searched the forums. I've only found results from other versions of Windows and seeing as I'm only now facing the issue after the Windows 10 upgrade, this is where it belongs.

Memory usage is sitting at 99% regardless of the fact I have almost every single app closed, and the ones that are open are not showing any RAM usage that could account for this (not even close).

No idea what is causing the high RAM usage but I have included screenshots of the apps open sorted by memory usage and of resource monitor showing the pagefile.sys taking a massive beating and the corresponding hard faults.

Problem writing to the pagefile maybe? Temporarily disabled it so I can delete the page file and have the system automatically rewrite it.. Applying after this restart and will update the post if it fixed the issue.

Included the pictures below and here are the links for them:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2F9F52D961850A36!6005&authkey=!AD0plMmXlT0EyxY&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2F9F52D961850A36!6006&authkey=!AP5gEj8sLx1fOgE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

Resource monitor showing the hard faults and the page file taking a slaughtering

Task manager showing all of the apps writing to disk (writing to page file and inevitably failing)

I have this problem too, I encountered it around the time you did on August 2nd. I have every application that's not part of windows closed and yet it's still sitting at 98-99%. Please include a guide about how to fix this if your resolution works. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well disabling the page file worked but I would not recommend this as a permanent solution.

To do that: Right click start menu button > Control panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > under Performance hit settings > Advanced tab > Under virtual memory hit Change.. > Unselect Automatically manage paging file size for all drives and click each drive that has a paging file size other than "None" and check No paging file then hit the Set button. Click through the warnings, restart the PC when asked.

Will update this post after I re-enable the paging file and use the computer for an hour or more and see how it goes.

Either way, how this could have gotten past the Microsoft Insider Program I will never know.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Did clean reainstall helps? 

I have same problem i upgraded win 7 to win 10

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well disabling the page file worked but I would not recommend this as a permanent solution.

To do that: Right click start menu button > Control panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > under Performance hit settings > Advanced tab > Under virtual memory hit Change.. > Unselect Automatically manage paging file size for all drives and click each drive that has a paging file size other than "None" and check No paging file then hit the Set button. Click through the warnings, restart the PC when asked.

Do the above and then re-enable it with a set page file size. How high you set it depends on your current physical RAM. I'd suggest making it to a total of 10GB memory (inc. Page file). So if you had 6GB of physical RAM then set the page file to 4GB, etc. If you have a huge amount that is over 10GB of RAM then I would recommend at least 1GB so the system can update the event log and dump a sys log in case of BSOD.

I believe the issue may have been when upgrading to Windows 10 the page file fragmented to all hell and defaulted back to "Automatically manage page file" which is known to cause issues anyway. So manually setting this page file size practically eliminates any fragmentation issues and should hopefully fix your problem.

Microsoft need to look into this, and there is no reply from them after all this time. Not exactly impressed with their forum staff. Assuming they have any.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this same issue, before upgrading to win 10 I had pagefiling set to another hard drive to save space on my ssd, the upgrade reverted this to the ssd and I on experiencing this issue i could see it and defaulted back maybe getting issues during the process.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2024 Views 13,035 Applies to: