Q: 84B30001 This thread is locked from future replies

Win Update does NOT work for installing the important or the optional SQL service pack 3 updates. It just fails over and over. I even show it succeeded once but an hour later it said it still needed to update. I have uninstalled the SQL and one a reinstall to see if that would fix it. I have used the Fix it tool they provide and that does NOT fix it either. I have spent a week reading every webpage and of course advice here on how to get these updates to install but it is alluding me so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the two that keep failing on me.

Security Update for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 (KB2977321)

Installation date: ‎8/‎24/‎2014 3:23 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 84B30001

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

2. this second one keeps saying it has successfully installed yet it is always there saying it wants me to install it.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 (KB2546951)

Installation date: ‎8/‎24/‎2014 3:16 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 upgrades all builds of SQL Server 2008 and the components installed by SQL Server 2008 setup. The service pack may be applied to all editions of SQL Server 2008 and can upgrade any instances of SQL Server 2008 resident in your local system. If additional installation options are needed, please download Service Pack 3 from the Microsoft Download Center. For more information about the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 Package please visit the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2546951.

Hello Rebel,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the issue.

There is no need to reformat the operating system. You do not have to install optional updates on the computer. And SQL server 2008 will update will not cause any issue on the computer as other updates are installing fine.

Refer the Marilyn O replied on June 20, 2011 on Microsoft forums.

Do I need to have Microsoft SQl Server 2008 on Windows 7?

Also refer Guru Prasad Ra replied on September 15, 2011 on Microsoft forums.

Do I need Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008?

Additional information:

How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2008   

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,285 Last updated: December 26, 2017 Applies to: