5.1 Optical not working in Windows 10 1809

Good Day,

I currently have:

Windows Pro 1809 17763.292

I have just updated my Realtek HD audio manager and drivers to: 6.0.1.8619 with windows catalog

Installing this latest driver allowed the Realtek HD manager HUI to start working again and appear in the taskbar as it did previously.

When I open the Realtek HD manager, the section where you used to be able to select whether the output is 2/4/5.1/7.1 channel, is no longer there?

I then attempted to go to the sound device properties to see whether I could see the 5.1 option and test it.

When I test the above DTS or Dolby, the 5.1 Audio is heard through each speaker.

However, there is no option to select the 5.1 option at a given frequency.

Also cannot select the configuration above.

And for some reason all my games do not allow the 5.1 to play, all is working as normal 2 channel(2.1) audio.

How do I return to getting my 5.1 surround system to play via the optical cable output???

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2020 Views 338 Applies to:

Hi Grant,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• What is the make and model of your PC?

This could probably be an issue with the audio driver installed on the PC. You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

Update Driver:

• Right click the Windows icon the taskbar and choose Device Manager.

• Expand Sound, video and game controllers and right click your Realtek HD audio device.

• Choose Update Driver and click on Browse my computer for driver software.

• Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and choose Next.

• Select the previous driver version and install the same.

• Reboot the machine once the driver is installed, to see if it works.

If the issue persists, I suggest you install the latest Realtek drivers from your PC manufacturer’s website.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid A
Microsoft Community - Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Junaid,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Gigabyte Z97 UDH3 v.1.2 Motherboard.

I did try the above prior to installing the current/latest driver version, as all previous versions was not allowing the HD manager GUI to work, and thought perhaps that was the issue.

I have tried using the latest drivers from Gigabyte, 6.0.1.7727, and the HD Manager GUI was not working.

However, the driver available 15Jan19, 6.0.1.8619, from windows catalog seems to resolve the HD Manager GUI and is now opening but there is no option as above to test 5.1 channel? I see 6.0.1.8622 is now available from 22Jan19.

Now that HD manager GUI is working, but cannot show/test 5.1, and the 5.1 is working as 2.1 system. I tried using the Sound properties, and when in the "Suported Formats" tab, and selecting DTS or DOLBY to test the test signal is play through each speaker in the 5.1 System, however in the "ADVANCED" tab, the default sound format defaults to 2channel, and cannot select any multi channel options.

When I right click and select test in the sound properties "Playback" Tab, the sound still plays 2channels.

I am not sure where the problem is as previously when using the Optical SPDIF Out it would default to 5.1 playback.

If you can advise further.

Appreciated

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.