45GB of hidden data on my SSD

Hi,

I have 45GB of hidden data on my 230GB SSD. I have 31GB available to use as storage. The hidden data seems to be in one of my user folders.

When I try to drill down and find this hidden data, it seems to be in a folder appearing just above the "NTUSER.DAT", which is at the very bottom of my personal user folders. The folder with the lost 45GB is represented by only a single character, an underscore "_", and nothing else.

I've already done the Windows Disk Clean thing. It helped get back 1.8GB

Should I just forget about this 45GB lof hidden data? 

Thanks,

Don 

Answer
Answer

In this case Donald, this could be an issue with the firmware bugs relating to failure in system. For us to isolate the main issue, we suggest that you scan your PC for viruses and disable the hibernation to reclaim SSD space.

Disabling hibernate mode on your PC will allow you to delete that 45GB file and reclaim valuable disk space. Here's how:

1. Open Command Prompt by typing command prompt.
  2. When you see the Command Prompt app pop up, right-click it and then choose Run as administrator.
  3. At the prompt, type the following command powercfg -h off and then press Enter.

This command immediately disables hibernate mode. You’ll notice that it’s no longer an option from your shut down menu. If you visit File Explorer again, you’ll see that the hiberfil.sys file has been deleted and all that disk space is yours once again.

If you change your mind and would like to enable hibernate mode again, just revisit the Command Prompt and use this command: powercfg -h on.

Let us know if this will help address your concern.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2023 Views 1,673 Applies to: