3rd Monitor Not Detected (Using Active DisplayPort-DVI Adapters)

Hi, I normally don't post anything because it seems like every question out there is asked and answered, but I've been searching on this topic and can't find anything that solves my problem. 

- I have a T430s and mini dock plus 170w docking station, running Windows 7 x64, with NVIDIA 5200 and Intel HD Graphics 4000

- I have two old Dell 2407WFP monitors (DVI-D) that I'm trying to connect together with my laptop LCD for a total of 3 concurrent displays.

- I purchased two ACCELL B087B-005B DisplayPort – DVI-D Active Adapters in order to enable a third display.

The problem is that the LCD plus one of the Dell monitors are detected, while the other Dell monitor is not. 

When I disconnect one of the display port adapters and connect directly via DVI-D the third monitor is recognized, but it won't allow me to extend the desktop to the display, presumably because I need a displayport adapter to make this possible.

Questions:

- Should the 3rd monitor be recognized automatically by my computer when I have DP/DVI-D + DP/DVI-D + LCD?

- Should the DP/DVI-D + DVI-D + LCD combo work?  (I have read conflicting reports on this)

- The monitors are old, but I checked and no new drivers are available.  Could this be a compatibility issue with the old Dell 2407WFP monitors?

I need to figure out whether to send back the cables and try again or if it is an issue not related to the cables that I need to resolve in another way.

Thanks in advance.

-J

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Move windows between multiple monitors
Applies to these editions of Windows 7

Home Premium

Professional

Ultimate

Enterprise

You can easily extend your Windows desktop across more than one monitor by plugging two or more monitors into a desktop computer or one or more monitors into a laptop. Most laptops allow you to connect one external monitor. A desktop that spans two or more monitors significantly increases your desktop area so that you can drag windows, program icons, and other items to any location on the extended desktop.

By default, when you connect an external monitor to a laptop, the same image (mirror image) of your desktop appears on the external monitor. Before you can drag a window from your laptop screen to the external screen, you must extend your display by changing your display settings. By contrast, when you connect another monitor to a desktop PC, the display is set to "extended" by default, and you should be able to drag a window from one screen to the other without changing any settings.

Watch this video to learn how to move windows between multiple monitors (1:52)
To change your display settings to extended
  1. Open Screen Resolution by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

2. Click the drop-down list next to Multiple displays, click Extend these displays, and then click OK.

The Multiple displays option appears only when Windows detects more than one monitor connected to your PC.
    Note
    • If you don't see an option named Multiple displays in your display settings, then Windows isn't detecting a second monitor plugged into your desktop computer. Or, it is not detecting an external monitor plugged into your laptop. When Windows detects this monitor, it will appear in the drop-down list next to Display. If you don't see it listed there, try clicking Detect.

• Make sure the monitor you want to extend your desktop to is turned on and plugged into the correct video port on your computer. You might also need to select the correct source labeled on your monitor's controls to ensure the monitor is using the correct video port. For more information, check the manual for your monitor or go to the manufacturer's website.

To move a window from one display to another
  • Click the title bar of the window, and then drag the window to a new location.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I am able to extend to a second monitor and am familiar with the Screen Resolution work area. The issue is that the third monitor doesn't show up as being detected. I've taken all of the basic seps to ensure that it should (power, cable, etc), including using an Active DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter. 

If anyone has solved this specific problem, particularly on a ThinkPad, I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may also post this question in the Windows 7 IT Pro TechNet Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I realize that this is an old post.  What I'm wondering is why respond with a generic "multiple displays" solution when the questions specifically pertains to a 3rd monitor.  There are no problems with 2 monitors and this solution only works up to 2 monitors.  I have the same problem with the 3rd monitor not being activated.  Please advise on howw does one address the issue with the 3rd monitor.  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI, not to discourage you, but I eventually gave up trying to figure this out. I just use the LCD + one external monitor. If you happen to find a solution if you wouldn't mind re-posting it here that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just solved this with the same laptop and mini dock by moving the display port to the next HDMI port... Sounds simple but that's what did it for me. I also disconnected the DVI cable and reconnected it while connecting the HDMI. Hope this helps..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

Feel free to post your query here on Windows Forums, we would be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you have one dvi and two display ports,  boot up with the dvi only connected, log in, then connect the two display port cables.  You should then be able to extend / configure all three screens.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you have one dvi and two display ports,  boot up with the dvi only connected, log in, then connect the two display port cables.  You should then be able to extend / configure all three screens.

Hope this helps anyone with this issue. 

Unfortunately, it does not work. I am using windows 10, xeon process, NVIDA 4000 series graphics card at work. Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying another video card or buying a usb-to-display adapter? Thank you kindly. Right now

-the DVI cable is working as is

- the Activate Display Adapter-HDMI - Monitor. 

If I unplug the DVI port, the other one will work. 

-Brett Snodgrass

Brett Snodgrass, MD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with windows 10.  So, anyone solve the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2023 Views 1,121 Applies to: