32 bit browsers (IE8, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera) and Vista 64 bit

Hi

I have an HP Pavilion dv2842se. I've had it for a little more than a year. IE 7 was originally installed, with a 32 bit and 64 bit version. Not long after I got it, the 32 bit version stopped functioning. Specifically, as soon as I open the program it would shut down and be completely unusable. I could not figure out the issue, so I installed Mozilla Firefox 32 bit, and just used that. When the IE 8 upgrade came out, I downloaded it and still experienced the same problem, so I continued to use Firefox.

Using Mozilla has worked well for me until about two weeks ago when Mozilla started becoming increasingly unreliable, and now completely unusable. Assuming it was a Mozilla specific problem, I downloaded 32 bit versions of Chrome and Opera, and ended up with all four 32 bit versions of the browsing programs doing the same.

I realize that I can simply use the 64 bit version of IE8, as I have been doing since I have no choice. However, there is one big problem with this. IE8 does not support Adobe Flash Player, which is needed to run practically every website--including the main website I use for my college coursework. Considering the main reason I purchased this computer was for college,  my computer as a whole is pretty worthless to me without a functioning browser that supports Adobe Flash Player.

Per the instruction of HP, I have tried disabling all add-ons, resetting all internet settings, and uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash Player. I have even on my own tried a system restore, and scanned for viruses, spyware, and malware. Nothing has worked.

Please, Please, PLEASE if there is absolutely anything I can do to return my 32 bit browsers to a usable state, please help me. I really don't have the money to buy a new computer, and 64 bit operating systems are practically standard now--so there's no saying that if I did buy a new computer the same thing wouldn't happen all over again.

Thanks for any help you can provide! It's much appreciated!
Answer
Answer
Hi guys,

Paul - try to uninstall IE8 and run a Startup Repair.  If Startup Repair can't take care of the problem, try to do a Repair Installation on the system. 

1. Uninstall Adobe Flash Player:
http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
"How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control".

2. Temporarily disable your antivirus and antispy/malware software and reinstall the last release of Adobe Flash Player:
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us
"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
When you remove Internet Explorer 8, your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored with your customizations (such as add-ins, Favorites, and your home page).

Then reinstall IE8.
Please read and follow carefully:
"
HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems":
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/9c5f373e-7667-4d6c-aa10-84185dccf887

- Courtesy of Vincenzo Di Russo -

STARTUP REPAIR 

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1.  Insert the installation disc.

2.  Restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3.  If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4.  Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5.  Click Repair your computer.

6.  Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

7.  On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

REPAIR INSTALLATION

You will need all your software media, Windows Vista disk and backup of your data to perform either one of the installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918884

HOW TO PERFORM AN INPLACE UPGRADE OR REPAIR INSTALLATION

If you have the Windows Vista DVD, you can attempt a Inplace Upgrade (Repair) on Vista - this will not work if all you have is a Windows Recovery DVD.

If you do not have the Windows Vista DVD and only have the Recovery Media, do you know someone who has the exact same Version of Vista as you that has the Vista DVD?  If so, borrow their DVD but do "not" use their Product key, use yours if asked for a product key.  If you do not have or cannot get a Vista DVD, the steps below will not work with the Recovery media and you may be forced to do a Clean install.

Repair Installation:

You may reinstall your copy of Vista while keeping your files, settings, and programs by performing a repair installation or an in-place upgrade with the following steps: (Note:  This does not always resolve all issues, especially if the corruption was caused by a 3rd party program or service, you might need to do a clean installation if this is unsuccessful.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

Please make sure you Backup any and all important data before proceeding. Please see: Methods for backing up your files.

Always make sure you have the means to reinstall your programs, either through an install disk or having access to the installation files.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into your computer's DVD or CD drive. You must start Windows installation while running your existing version of Windows.

2. On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

3. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get installation updates.

4. On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

7. Follow the instructions.

Note: If your installation disk does not include SP1, and you are updated to it, then you will have to uninstall it before performing an upgrade install. Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> View installed updates, then select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows and click Uninstall.

Note: The following settings will be reset to default:

Computer Sound Scheme

Device Drivers

Visual Effects

Windows Mail

Windows Services

If you notice files missing after the upgrade look in the following folders:

C:\Windows.old

C:\$INPLACE.~TR

C:\$WINDOWS.~Q

These files can be cleared with disk cleanup as "Files discarded by Windows upgrade".

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

Kanewai - try to uninstall and reinstall IE8

Let us know if this helps,

Kevin
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Kevin

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2024 Views 21,374 Applies to: