2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508) -Error 0x80073701

Well here we go AGAIN! Another 'Patch Tuesday' and yet another update that refuses to install. Last month there was a Cumulative Update that would not install and now we have another one, 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508) -Error 0x80073701, with the same error code. What on earth is going on at Microsoft? It's getting to the stage where I am seriously considering dumping my PC and getting a Mac! With the failed install of last month I tried everything possible to find a solution but all to no avail. Followed all the 'solutions' posted on the Community to the letter but none worked. Come on Microsoft...sort yourselves out as this is getting beyond a joke.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2019 Views 14,756 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've now managed to block the update by using the Microsoft 'hide' an update tool. Thank you for your suggestions as to possible work-arounds but they just don't work at all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The in-place repair isn’t like a reset, it will full replace any corrupt Windows files & registry entries while saving all your files & programs.
However if you have already tried this then unfortunately a clean install is required.
Virginia - Time Lady.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a problem with this update as well as last months update on my windows 10 pro pc, my 10 home pc went ok. I tried all the different commands listed here and that didn't work. So I did the windows 10 ISO in place upgrade/repair and that worked. I didn't want to lose my personal files and apps, the repair was easy. Thanks

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Installing from the stand-alone updates seemed to work on my Surface Pro.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4511553

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the stand alone version and that didn't help either. Last months update and KB4512508 would only install until 20%, sit there for a while, then jump to 73%, then 74%, then 100%...then error with everything I tried. The windows 10 ISO in place repair worked. It works great because you don't have to lose any apps or files.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Derek

My name is Aracely, I am an Independent Advisor. I would love to help you today.

Follow these steps:

Right click on the start button and select Powershell (admin) or Command Prompt (admin)

Write the next hit enter after each line.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Restart and try again.

Check this link, I hope it helps.
https://support.microsoft.com/ en-us /help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

You can also update manually. This applies to version 1903, you just have to download the updated ISO.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let me know if the information has been helpful in solving your problem.       

Seven Windows 10 systems, as close a match as I can get them to each other. The only one not updating is this 3 year old Dell. Since I deleted the update log following your advice; 99% sure the last problematic update installed BUT then kept trying to reinstall, then failing with the same error code. Yes, tried downloading from the catalog, etc. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Well here we go AGAIN! Another 'Patch Tuesday' and yet another update that refuses to install. Last month there was a Cumulative Update that would not install and now we have another one, 2019-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508) -Error 0x80073701, with the same error code. What on earth is going on at Microsoft? It's getting to the stage where I am seriously considering dumping my PC and getting a Mac! With the failed install of last month I tried everything possible to find a solution but all to no avail. Followed all the 'solutions' posted on the Community to the letter but none worked. Come on Microsoft...sort yourselves out as this is getting beyond a joke.

Keep the hardware, try Linux Mint 19.2. It updates just fine! "Flatpacks" go in just as easy as any 3rd party software for Windows. Did I mention it's FREE.  

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After the failed installation of this latest update, my computer will no longer boot.  The screen has the following - 113-B16903-103 RV610 GDDR2_16Mx16 64bi with a flashing cursor.  I tried booting with the Windows 10 USB flash drive but it is not recognized.  Suggestions for getting past this screen or getting to a DOS prompt to copy off files stored on hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

After the August 2019 update finished we are not able to log into our alienware laptop. The password prompt does not come up. All we get is a blurry screen. Tried adjusting boot mode, restarted a dozen times, I am unable to figure out how to boot to safe through uefi boot mode. Click on the screen, it goes blurry for 30 second then comes back to a normal screen. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a very good problem My windows 10 PC will not boot will not start the keyboard it will not start the mouse it will not start the monitor there is no input to put anywhere I have tried to hard start it plug it in while I'm holding buttons I tried F8 shortest throwing it out the window I've done everything you can possibly imagine to a computer that won't do anything but sit there with a blue light on it doesn't even flash one yellow light telling me that it's booting anything I'm assuming it did something to the BIOS in it have no idea of course my laptop running windows 10 is just fine hasn't crapped out yet I guess this is probably why Chromebook is probably a better choice

Sorry this didn't help.