1903 Notepad.exe is missing icons.

I noticed that after the update to windows 10 pro 64bit to version 1903 that the Notepad.exe shortcut I had on my desktop had no icon.  when I double click it... Notepad does indeed run. 

So I alternate clicked the shortcut and looked at the properties

what I discovered was that the shortcut in my start menu points to c:\windows\system32

and my shortcut that was made before the update to 1903 points to c:\windows

In the image above it shows that the notepad.exe in the original location actually has a newer version number and no icon

I am not sure if this is an oversight or if the file was corrupted when I upgraded to 1903

Can anyone verify the notepad.exe duality?

Thanks

Hi MYOBU,

I have also recently updated my computer to 1903 and the notepad.exe is the same as yours.

I would recommend using the new version which is stored in the c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe

The newer version has new features. so Would recommend this one as Microsoft would only support the newer one going forward if you have upgrade to a newer OS.

Let us know if i can be of further help.

Thanks
Julian - Independent Advisor

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi MYOBU

Have you tried creating as new Desktop shortcut on your Desktop to see if the correct icon does appear on that . . .

Even though there is a new version of Notepad in version 1903 of Windows 10 with some added functionality, that should not affect the icon . .

From your screenshots, I cannot see that location change you refer to, if there is a newer version of Notepad on your PC, it should still be in the System32 folder, though you should check if there is also a version in just the Windows folder . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DaveM121,

I have the same problem here after updating my windows 10 pro using iso file image on the hard drive, now am like MYOBU here, the thing is we have 2 notepad.exe , one is located at the old path at c:\windows ---> this is the one missing the icon , and the new one that jwilliams786 talked about in system32 ---> this one have the icon

so now the question is how to delete notepad.exe that is in c:\windows  ? cuz whenever I try to do this even as an admin I get the message:

you need permission to perform this action

- is there is a way to delete it ?

thank you.

===========

update

following the instruction in this page

https://windowsreport.com/access-is-denied-windows-10/

i found out that notepad.exe owner was set to trustedinstaller, so by just following the guide and changed the owner to my account then I was able to delete the c:\windows\notepad.exe and now using the one in system32.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2021 Views 2,940 Applies to: