100% High Disk Usage Due To "SysMain Service" Running In Background

Hi, I am a windows 10 user. From past many months I am facing a issue where whenever I start working my laptop suddenly I face lag and hang issues. My system just gets hanged for few mins and I can't do anything. When it gets fixed, I go to task manager and see that my disk usage has almost reached its peak 100% and the CPU usage also increases gradually. Even the RAM usage also. And I get to see that SysMain service keeps running in the background and I don't have any control over it. It literally consumes everything and I can't work properly. For this problem to get fixed I have to always restart my laptop. Then only it gets fixed. So do you have any solution for it as to how to reduce the usage or completely stop that service? Please help because I can't work properly and the performance just reduces. Even it consumes most of my internet.
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Try these steps:

1. Open administrative Command Prompt.

2. Type following command and press Enter key:

sc stop "SysMain" & sc config "SysMain" start=disabled

3. You should get [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS after command execution. Close Command Prompt and check if issue is resolved.

If you still not able to disable SysMain (older name Superfetch service), try this registry manipulation after creating a System Restore point:

1. Open Registry Editor.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysMain.

3. In the right pane, double click on Start and set it to 4.

4. Close Registry Editor and reboot your machine.

Hope this helps!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2020 Views 63,711 Applies to: