(1) How to position the Dropbox as shown in Windows Explorer (2) How to remove duplicate entries appearing in Homegroup within Windows Explorer?

This question relates to Windows Explorer   but  I could not find an appropriate "Category" and "Windows Topic" in drop-down lists. Therefore, I selected the closest sounding items "Windows" and "Files, Folders, and Online Storage".

I was trying to somehow bring "Dropbox" to a position as independent as that of OneDrive. It has been shown with red arrow in the following screenshot. However, I could not succeed even by attempting in different ways.

But then, one of such attempts led into yet another problem. Like we see, Pictures and Videos appear twice, with identical contents, under Homegroup as shown within two red boxes. And, I could not find a way to delete the duplicate entries. I tried right-click on Pictures and Videos, one by one, but options that appeared there did not help me remove duplicated entries.

Need help on two matters:

• How to place Dropbox at the desired position in Windows Explorer
  • How to remove duplicate entries within Homegroup list

Thank you.

Further, I noticed that folder "Dropbox" appears at two places: (1) under Homegroup as mentioned above, and (2) under "Desktop" as shown in image below.

"Pictures and Videos folders under Homegroup", as mentioned above, contained identical files and sub-folder BUT "Dropbox under Desktop" is empty whereas "Dropbox under Homegroup" contains files and sub-folders. Please see the image below:

Hi Maanoj,

The navigation pane is by designed and limited to the number of items that is added or to be removed from the list of the items on Windows 8.1. These items include OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)Library, This PC, Network, Desktop, etc. So, it isn't recommended to add other folders such as Google Drive or DropBox to the navigation pane under File Explorer.

Additionally I have found this:

1.Open up any folder.
2.Note that the left hand column where you would hope to see "DropBox" may have only "OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)Library", "This PC" and "Network" in it.
3.The "Favorites" option (where Dropbox lives if you have already downloaded it) is hidden by default, but if you right click in that column you can choose to show it.
4.This should apply to all folders.

You can also restore the library to defaults to remove the duplicates.

Show and Restore Broken Libraries in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

Please feel free to ask more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anannya,

Thank you very much.

Restoring Favourites and Setting Libraries to Default had the following effect -

• Dropbox shows up with contents (desirable) (image below)
  • Dropbox disappears under this PC (desirable) (image below)
  • Dropbox continues to show under Homegroup (image below) -- how to get rid of it?
  • Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos show up under Libraries (image below)
  • Duplicate folders for Music. Pictures, and Videos with identical contents under Homegroup -- one entry type is File Folder and the other type is Library  (image below) -- how to get rid of duplication?

Maanoj Rakhit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

When you create or join a Homegroup, you select the libraries you want to share with other people in the Homegroup.

These are the shared files and folders under Homegroup.

HomeGroup from start to finish

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

When you create or join a Homegroup, you select the libraries you want to share with other people in the Homegroup.

These are the shared files and folders under Homegroup.

HomeGroup from start to finish

• But then, as shown in the image below, I am not sharing any of those folders. In such case should they show up, and that too, in duplicate?

Maanoj Rakhit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I received the following reminder from The Microsoft Community Team -

We noticed that the question hasn't been marked as Answered yet and we were wondering if you resolved the issue.

I have taken the survey.

I would request Moderator to close this ticket as I do not expect that keeping it open would help.

Maanoj Rakhit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I AGREE BECAUSE I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE.

Windows 8.1 Pro user and I have 3 and 4 of the same folders that are empty and I cannot delete them.

I do keep my computer clean and use a 3TB external harddrive.  This is so annoying.

Windows 8.1 needs to really get it together before they release any new UPGRADES or UPDATES!

I do have my MacBook Pro and I am really turning more towards becoming an APPLE person, as much as I hate too, but I do not have these issues with MAC.

Makes me sad, because I have been loyal to Microsoft since 1995!!

OH WELL!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2018 Views 615 Applies to: