Function keys for the Surface RT - how can I use the F2 key without holding down the "Fn" button?

The keyboards that come with the Surface both lack a row of independent function keys, and while I know that I can hold the "Fn" key down and then press the "lower volume" button to get F2, there has to be a better way to do this. F2 and F4 are literally the most important keys in excel for me, and I don't want to hold down the "Fn" key every time I need to use the function keys.  Can I turn on function lock somehow or possibly create a shortcut such that the "lower volume" button works as F2?

If not, the Windows Surface seems pretty worthless for financial and consulting professionals.  I want the Surface to succeed - please tell me that Microsoft didn't overlook this issue.

Thanks

Answer
Answer
Sorry to revive an old thread, but the solution for this is to press "Fn + Caps Lock", which acts as a toggle between using the function keys as F# keys and the labelled action.

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Fn+:

Up: Page Up

Down: Page Down

Left: Home

Right: End

Space: PrtScrn (only way to do a focused app shot using a blade is is Fn+Alt+Space)

Del: Bright Up

Backspace: Bright Down

CapsLock: FnLock

Woah! Sweet, thanks for the list! I had been using the snipping tool because I didn't know about the Fn + Space keyboard shortcut to get the Print Screen button. Awesome! :D
You'd think the brightness buttons on F1 F2 would be for the screen and the more obscure button combinations would be for the keyboard backlight... 

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 27, 2020 Views 72,668 Applies to: