What apps and programs can I install on Surface with Windows RT?

Can I use Surface with Windows RT to download apps online, or to use legacy business apps at work?

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2020 Views 277,388 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Nope, the Surface has a tablet processor inside it.  It's the same reason you can't install Firefox or Adobe onto an iPad or a cell phone.... the processor inside simply can't run that kind of program.

You can buy the Surface Pro instead of RT, and it has a full computer processor in it.  However a full PC processor gets hot, so it's also thicker, heavier, and has a cooling fan to keep it from getting too hot.  You'll notice iPads and Android tablets are thin and have no cooling fan, and they also can't run these programs you mention.  It's all the same anywhere you go.

I actually have a Surface Pro and tried Google Chrome on it, but Google doesn't support touch screens very well, and it's very difficult to use (impossible on most websites).  So you really are better on the Surface RT using Internet Explorer.  It has features like Chrome that you might not know about:  syncing your bookmarks and your tabs, passwords, etc.

As for Adobe:  There are indeed official Adobe programs in the Windows Store.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Sorry, but Java isn't supported on Windows RT. :(

Kate

Learn something new - check out Surface.com/UserGuides

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.