Surface RT - mounting a micro SD card and making use of libraries

I have surface RT

I have a micro SD card

I would like toi mount it

so that I can see what I have in either videos pics etc in  the metro folder.

I attempted to mount the libraries so that my sd card folders are included

and I get the message removable media cannot be mounted.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2019 Views 40,357 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You actually can...... it's just not as easy as it should be.....

This was a trick I did on my PC to let me add SD cards to the Music library in Windows 7:

• create a folder "C:\SDCard" on your tablet
  • Go to the Desktop
  • Right-click on My Computer
  • Select Manage.
  • This brings up the MMC and one of the options there is "Disk Management"
  • Find your SD card there, right click on it, and select "Check Drive Letters and Paths"
  • Here, you click ADD and choose the empty folder on NTFS option
  • Select C:\SDCard and hit OK.
  • Now, nothing will be added just yet, so make a folder called "Xbox Music" there.  Move all of your music files in this folder with a subfolder of Music in that Xbox Music folder.  They can be in folders.... that's fine.
  • Go to Libraries and right-click on the Music library.
  • Add C:\SDCard to this library.
  • Change the default options for saving, etc. (there should be two) and set it to this folder.

Give it a few minutes and the tablet will start loading in your music.  Apparently Microsoft doesn't let you add removable media to the Libraries but doing this works and has since Windows 7. (and probably Vista)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
At the moment you can only store and browse media files using file explorer. Those media files do not show up in their appropriate apps. This is what you need to do. Go to search and type “Disk Management”. The entry in Settings will show “Create and format hard disk partitions”. This is Disk Management. Click it. You will see that your microSD card has already been assigned a drive letter. Right-click your “Removable” drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths for <drive letter>…” Once the card has already been inserted and assigned a drive letter, you cannot simply click “Change…” here (the option you need will be grayed out). So you have to click “Remove”. Now the only option you have is “Add…”. Click it and you will see “Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:” Create a folder in your Users directory or in C:. For instance, C:\Users\username\microSD. Select that folder. You are now able to treat your microSD like any other folder in Windows 8, including adding to Libraries like Pictures, Video and Music etc. You can now open File Explorer and right-click the Pictures, Video and Music Libraries in the left hand Navigation Pane, select Properties, then Add and select the folder you just mounted in your microSD in. Now when you go into the Photos, Videos or Music apps in Surface you will be able to see your media files you added to your microSD card.
Vihar.
Please mark the reply as "Answered" if it has answered your questions.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.