Audio jack / Headphone issue

Hi,

I've just received my Surface and love it, but there's one thing that doesn't seem right.  All headphones I've tried work in only one ear unless I fiddle around with them and have them half plugged in. For instance, one pair of headphone have three rings, and if I plug it to the last ring but not all the way in then it works without an issue - full stereo sound. If I plug it in all the way then it only works in one ear, which just doesn't seem right to me. On my wife's iPhone and ipad it goes in flush and works with no issue, the same on my windows 8 laptop.

I've tried to go into Control Panel and change the sound settings but the options to do so are greyed out for any headphones I've tried.

Has anyone else experienced this or do you think its a hardware issue?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 11,637 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Garry G.,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with sound only coming through one headphone.

We would like you to check your settings for your headphones.

Plug in your headphones.

Go to Desktop.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar.

Click Playback devices.

Click the picture of your connected headphones.

Click the Levels tab.

Click Balance.

This shows the audio settings for each headphone independently.  Make sure that neither is set to 0.

Please let us know what you find.

Best Wishes,

Zack_T

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hello soyeathra♥

Have you had headphones work with your Surface device before?  Can you verify that both internal speakers are working?  Similar issues with Bluetooth sound devices?

It almost sounds like the headphone plug isn't quite getting inserted all the way.  Considering the beveled exterior of Surface, you may find some headphone plugs don't quite fit right. 

If this isn't the case, there may be a hardware problem.  Reach out to support Here or Here to find out about your options.

Best regards

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.