Surface Studio Problem - Mouse snapping to upper left corner and highly eratic

I have been playing with my new Surface Studio for about a two weeks now.  Love it accept for the following major issue. 

After a few days of use the mouse begins to behave erratically, flashing on and off and jumping to the upper left corner of the desktop immediately upon moving it anywhere.  Touch also becomes erratic and the pen the same.  I have twice had to fully restore the entire system after trying everything else from calibration, making sure drivers are updated, to turning off the snap to feature (which from research appeared to be causing a similar issue in Windows 8).  None of these attempts did anything, and I must add were really hard to attempt given the lack of input control.  After both full system restores the issue went away, but would return after 2-3 days of use.  The system becomes unusable.

Any one else having these issues or have some perspective for me?  This is an i7 32 GB device so given what I paid for it I am a bit surprised.  Would welcome any ideas.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2019 Views 307 Applies to:

I actually experienced similar issues back in 2014 with a Sony VAIO Tap 11. I get that it's not a Surface device, but it was touchscreen and also used N-Trig technology for the pen (same as the Surface). I troubleshooted for days and found forums where users were experiencing similar issues, but Sony Support would never respond. 

Best I ended up figuring out it was due to an N-Trig driver issue, but I didn't keep the device long enough to wait for Sony to update their drivers (good thing too, since they sold off all but 5% of the rights to their VAIO line a year later and then VAIO discontinued the Tap).

I found my old posting on Sony's support forum describing my issue and steps to troubleshoot (granted, I was using Windows 8 then but the steps should be the same with Win10). 

https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/Sony-Vaio-Tap-11-random-touchscreen-issues/m-p/258707#M16625

Considering this seems to still be an issue I doubt I'll ever buy another N-Trig pen device again. But maybe you'll have more luck than I did and it's likely Microsoft will release a driver update to fix if this becomes a widespread problem for their customers. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello

I would first look at any software that may have been installed around the time that the issue began to happen. I understand you have already performed 2 system restores, are you reloading any Bluetooth specific software afterword’s?

I would also disable / enable the Bluetooth mouse and then retest the connection. If the mouse works with no issues, then connect other Bluetooth peripherals to see if any other devices are connecting and causing the issue.

Also, try turning off the mouse or keyboard to make sure that the problem is not coming from one of those two devices. You can also try connecting another mouse or keyboard to test the issue as well. I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks David

I have tried all of the above to no avail.  Appreciate the suggestions.  One other thing I recently noticed is that it appears the digitizer isn't working correctly. The pen now starts drawing well before and after it touches the screen, often even from 1 cm away.  On my surface Pro 4 I have never seen that type of behavior.  I have re-calibrated that a few times as well but the issue always returns.  After reading some blogs around that issue on the Surface Pro 4 it seems those systems had bad digitizers and needed to be replaced. That actually seems to be consistent with what Lucchese77 thinks above.  I am wondering if that may be the root of the problems. Though I love the system, I finally gave up and returned it today.  Will certainly buy one later in the year, but not until some of these early kinks are worked out.

Sorry this didn't help.