Surface Stuck in a Boot Loop - Windows Logo with blue cirlce that fills

I have the newest Surface Pro (1796) and am stuck in a boot loop. Yesterday I did a check for Windows Updates and it found 2 firmware updates both dated for January 2018. I opted to install both. However, I forgot that I had Bitlocker enabled and I know that Surface Firmware updates and Bitlocker never mix. (Microsoft, you should really work on this, please)

Anyway, I am now stuck in a boot loop. I have attached a picture of what I see. The circle will almost fill all the way and then stop. About 10 seconds later the Surface will reboot itself and continue the process over. This has been going for hours and nothing I do fixes it.

I have tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, using the two button shutdown method, nothing is working.

Please help! I need this Surface back up and running ASAP!

If you remove all peripherals, typecover, microSD cards, etc. and if you are
docked - remove from dock and then hold down the power button for 60 seconds and
then try to start normally, does anything change?

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I cannot test that now. I let the Surface continue to boot loop until the battery died hoping that would help in some way.

Now when I plug the charger in, it flashes and from what I can tell, is not charging the Surface at all. The light on the charger stays lit for 3 or 4 seconds, goes off for 1 second, and then comes back on and repeats this cycle. This charging dock is about a month old and was able to charge the Surface yesterday just fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please remove from the Surface dock and use the charger that came with your Surface. Do you have the same issue? If yes, if you are in the US, you should go to the closest physical retail Microsoft Store with your Surface, the dock and both power adapters. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/all-locations - outside the US, contact support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers.

This charging dock is about a month old and was able to charge the Surface yesterday just fine.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2024 Views 2,169 Applies to: