External USB sound device disconnects sporadically, and internal sound device "Works" even when disabled through device manager...

Hi again,

I am using my 3 month old surface pro with a surface dock, and a high quality powered external USB 3 hub.

Windows 10 is up to date with all updates, surface dock is latest firmware, and diagnostics finds no problems.

In terms of sound devices, I have a Logitech web cam with a microphone, a Sennheiser headset, and an external high quality USB device (TEAC UD-H01).

I only use the headset and the USB device with an amplifier and speakers, so I disabled the camera microphone, and both internal HD SST Realtek devices - The microphone array, and the speakers.

However, even with the internal sound device disabled, the Realtek HD SST speakers show up as an active device...

Here is a screenshot where you can see all disabled devices highlighted in red (the down arrow indicates a disabled device), and yet the SST speakers appear as if the device is active as can be seen in the available devices in the bottom right corner:

I wouldn't mind this weird phenomenon, but the problem is that my TEAC USB audio interface gets disconnected sporadically, and the SST speakers take its place as the default device. The screenshot above was taken with the TEAC device AWOL.

When this happens, the computer freezes up for a few seconds first,  and then the familiar USB "Ping" sound sounds when connecting or disconnecting a USB device.

Here is a screenshot, after turning the TEAC device off and back on, which is the only way to make it being recognized again - highlighted in green and shown in the available sound devices:

After a few minutes, or a few hours, or sometimes a day or two, it will again disconnect and go AWOL like in the first screenshot.

I have tried the following after researching the web for hours:

• Reinstalling the TEAC drivers
  • Turning off ALL advanced sound effects
  • Turning off the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" setting for ALL USB controllers - see screenshot below (it was a pain - there is no way to do it globally to all devices - had to go into each and every one...)
  • Attaching the TEAC USB to another PC - it works flawlessly, never disconnects
  • Replacing the USB hub with another, high quality powered USB 3 hub

None of these remedies helped, the USB sound device just keeps getting disconnected sporadically.

The weirdest part is, that when the TEAC device is disconnected, the internal Realtek HD SST device which takes over the default role, actually plays sound through the TEAC and not through the internal speakers, even though the device isn't shown.

It seems that the USB controller has them mixed up somehow.

Please advise, this is extremely annoying.

Thanks,

Ami

< Moderated >

Hello Ami,

Thank you for reaching out. There are some factors that affect this issue like hardware compatibility, current OS (Build and/or version) installed, etc. However, to be able to understand the issue better, let us know more details by answering the following questions:

• Can you tell us when the issue started?
• Is this the first time you're using these kinds of setup?
• To clarify, are you using the previous version of Surface Pro or the 2017 release?
• As for the external high quality USB device, does it act like an amplifier? Since it has a driver, were there any differences if it's updated?
• Have you tried using the audio output of the Surface Dock?

To help solve this issue, let's try these troubleshooting steps for audio issues while connected to the Surface Dock from this link. Once you're on the link, kindly go to "If you have problems with audio while connected to Surface Dock" section of the page. If that doesn't suffice, you can check here for additional troubleshooting steps for audio issues.

Keep us updated on the outcome.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Joseph and thanks for your prompt reply.

• Can you tell us when the issue started?

I believe it started after the feature update to Windows 10, version 1803.

• Is this the first time you're using these kinds of setup?I have used this same setup with 2 previous PCs (Win XP and Win 10), for about 6 years, with no problems. 

• To clarify, are you using the previous version of Surface Pro or the 2017 release?

This is the latest Surface Pro. Purchased in April 2018.
• As for the external high quality USB device, does it act like an amplifier? Since it has a driver, were there any differences if it's updated?

It is not an amplifier, it's a DAC which acts like a sound card, and in turn is connected to an external power amplifier, and to the speakers.The driver was installed from windows update automatically IIRC.

• Have you tried using the audio output of the Surface Dock?That is not really an option for me.

The sound quality of the internal Realtek device is no where near my minimum bar for an enjoyable listening experience.

Thanks again for your help,

Ami

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for getting back to us. We would like to add a few questions. How was the connection between the external high quality USB device and Surface Dock? Does it have an adapter/converter? Have you tried connecting it to the Surface directly? In order to get a better view of the setup, please provide a screenshot/image - your Surface, Surface Dock and other peripherals like the external high quality USB device, connectors (cables and/or adapters), headphone/headset used.

You can upload the screenshot/image on this thread and/or upload then share it on your OneDrive.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. How was the connection between the external high quality USB device and Surface Dock? 

With a USB 3 cable.

2. Does it have an adapter/converter? 

The USB hub uses a dedicated external 5V / 4A switching power supply.

Have you tried connecting it to the Surface directly? 

That is not a valid option for me due to the limited number of USB ports.

In order to get a better view of the setup, please provide a screenshot/image - your Surface, Surface Dock and other peripherals like the external high quality USB device, connectors (cables and/or adapters), headphone/headset used.

My Surface Pro is connected to the dock in the only way I know, using the surface dock magnetic surface cable.

The surface dock's 2 mini DP are connected to my monitors, and the 2 USB ports are connected to 2 separate, powered USB hubs. One on my desk, and one in the cabinet where the computers and NAS are.

The hub to which the TEAC DAC is connected is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI

The headset is this one: https://www.amazon.com/PC-163D-Headset-Incredible-Surrond/dp/B0049DPOV4The cables are all premium USB 3 listed and certified cables.

Ami

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran into this post as I happens to run into a similar problem.   a new DAC I just brought to replace my trusty TEAC 501 suffer the reset problem exactly as Ami describe here.

After much trial and error, and working with the manufacturer support team, it turns out in my case the problem is caused by a old USB 2 hub.   removing the hub cured the problem for me.

I do have another USB 3 hub connected to the PC and that is not causing any issue.  so Ami maybe you can give it a shot to replace the Hub you are using and see if that help in your case?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2023 Views 9,243 Applies to: