Minecraft's Optifine Mod permanently messed up my Surface Pro 4!!!

So I got a very trusting minecraft mod the other day: Optifine 1.12.2 andafter checking various sources, I downloaded the mod with no problem. However, when I changed the resolution diwn to a low level, it was the surface that messed everything up: it said that, in a notification, it automatically adjusted the resolution to match "the app's" resolution. Everything was EXTREMELY enlarged and I couldnt move the cursor anywhere on the screen, so I restarted my laptop, and that's when everything went downhill. Now anytime I turn on the laptop, a BIG cursor arrow appears and the lockscreen is blurry af. When I type in and enter my password (which I CANNOT SEE), it goes to a blue screen with a fuzzy windows logo. The only thing I can do is press the home button and + or - and even then that "resolution change" does NOTHING. I cannot access my laptop anymore and I am terrified that I may lose all of my data on there, and if that happens, every thing that I have worked on in Minecraft will be lost for good. I am NOT wasting money to fix a stupid issue like this that is not related to a virus because I will bet every electronic device I own that I do NOT HAVE A VIRUS. Someone, anyone, tell me how to fix this or I am done for.

P.S. I typed this whole thing on my Samsung phone.

Hi Alex,

You can try to start your device in safe mode and uninstall and reinstall the display driver.

To start your Surface in safe mode, follow these steps:   

1. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power >Restart.   
  2. After your device restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.   
  3. After your device restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Once in safe mode, Go to Device Manager
  5. Expand Display adapter. Right click on the driver and choose Uninstall. Restart the device to and let Windows reinstall the driver.

If uninstalling and  reinstalling  the display driver did not help, restore your device to an earlier point in time. This option takes your device back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

To do this, start the device again in safe mode. Then,

1. Select the Start  button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.   
  2. Type recovery in the Control Panel search box. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.   
  3. Choose the most recent app, driver, or update on the list of results, then select Scan for affected programs.
  4. You'll see list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Next > Finish. Or, if needed, select an earlier restore point before selecting Next > Finish.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much for the help; I will attempt this whenever I can.

I think the problem came in to where the pc settings are not compatible with the mod I installed and I will see if these options will help me in anyway. I hope this will work and I will try to inform you soon. Again, Thank you for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately that failed to work. I followed the instructions- well, as much as I could. I cannot see any settings no matter what I click. Everything is extremely zoomed in and fuzzy and it is impossible to zoom out even if I press start and minus. I plan on going to get this checked out at an electronic store nearby, but anyway, thanks for the help. If there are any other suggestions you have to offer me, please let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2021 Views 964 Applies to: