I have had no problems with my Surface since purchase and dutifully update regularly.
The last update though has caused multiple problems:
- All of the keyboard/pad functions are working including zoom, scroll etc. but no screen-touch or pen response (pen button clicks still open pre-chosen programmes as they should)
- After being shut down will only start up with long hold on power switch.
- It now takes ages to restart (used to start in a few dreamy seconds). Begins with completely black screen for about 20 seconds and no visible signs of turning on (lights on Fn key for instance) then the SURFACE screen, then the ring and eventually lock screen.
- Seems to use the fan more often (it even continued after shut a few times).
- In device manager the Firmware has an exclamation mark on Surface ME saying: This device cannot start. (Code 10) - An attempt was made to change the attributes on memory that has not been committed.
- Trouble shooter detects this but can not solve it.
- The pen/ink section of the Surface App says: the Surface app needs an updated component from Windows Update in order to enable this feature
I contacted Microsoft but they ended up sending me to the ‘diagnostic tool’ during which I was unable to draw the 'snail' on the screen or register any touches of course but it didn't help.
They did email me afterwards (ref. 1434863707) but have not responded further since my reply.
Everything is up to date and I have tried rolling back drivers and updating them again in the firmware section of device manager.
PLEASE HELP - I had a perfectly working Surface until I updated and now it just feels like a typewriter again.
Details of machine:
SKU: Surface Pro 4 i5
Embedded controller: 103.1791.258.0
System aggregator: 103.1837.257.0
Wi-Fi driver: 15.68.9114.29