Horizontal bars in the taskbar area after Windows update

Hi, I have a surface pro 4. I have updated to the latest Windows build yesterday (Version 1803, OS Build 17134.285). During installation, I immediately noted the fans whirring (when I rebooted my device to install the update) which I thought was not normal. After the installation, I noted horizontal band of lines near the taskbar area which was also there in the welcome screen (before login) and during booting too. 

I am not the first one as there seem to be others who also have/had this issue.

Horizontal band of lines

Question posed in Microsoft Community

Today, I find the band to be absent, which is bewildering. I am scared that I may have a defective piece or a defective hardware part which may worsen with time and render my device useless.

To top it off, when I contacted support and was chatting with a live agent, not only did the agent mis-diagnose the situation but he also made unfounded and unwarranted accusation that I have damaged my device and hence the screen has to be replaced.

I absolutely love my SP4 as I have come to love its features, specially the pen which has increased my productivity. Despite a lot of complaints I bought it and now I am having thoughts about my decision. Please help! I would also like to know if I can get a replacement for this device (my device is out of warranty). If replacement is not possible, can I get an assurance from Microsoft that this is not an issue and will not render my device useless in the future. 

Thank you

Suman

Hi - Even I am facing the issue past a few days the screen starts flickering which is  a known issue to Microsoft and they are replacing the out of warranty devices also checkout the link: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4230448/surface-pro-4-screen-flicker

Hope this helps it helped me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vikash,

Thank you for your reply. My problem is not the screen flickering. I talked to an American customer care exec today and he told me that I may have to pay for a replacement since my device is not under warranty. I do not know if they will replace my device free of cost. If they insist upon me paying then it is unethical and unlawful on Microsoft's part specially because I am not the only one facing this. Let's see how this will unfold. 

I now know why a lot of people complained/still complain about the level of service provided by the Indian Microsoft customer care team. The Indian guy I talked to yesterday, made ludicrous statements that I might have damaged my device and implied that I was crying victim. 

I hope my issue gets resolved smoothly and I hope Microsoft understands that it is a QC issue (if at all they diagnose my issue as a hardware problem). I say this as I have babied and still baby my SP4.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 1,079 Applies to: