Hard Drive Enclosure for Surface Pro 4 SSD

My little over 1 year old Surface Pro 4 died last week.  Locked up while surfing the web.  I tried all the internet button combo suggestions, never got it to turn back on.  Took it to Microsoft Store and they couldn't get it to turn back on.  Offered me a discount on a trade, as it is 2 months out of warranty.  I don't want to trade because I need to get my files off.  Of course, I got the looks of contempt when I told them I hadn't backed up the files to the Cloud.  Don't judge.  I shouldn't have to back up to the cloud *just in case* my 1 yr old computer suddenly decides to croak.  Why doesn't Microsoft work to making a better product for the price??

Anyway....Since I was told there was *nothing they could do*, here I am with my $850 drink coaster.  I have torn it apart to get at the hard drive to attempt to recover my files.  And, I'm staring at a hard drive with a bunch of letters and numbers and looking on Amazon for an enclosure to shove it in to get my files off.  So many choices and so many specifications.  Can anyone tell me exactly which enclosure they have used that worked?

Here is the stuff on the hard drive:

Samsung

Model MZ-FLV1280

PM951

MZFLV128HCGR-00MV

In some places I've searched, I'm finding that no enclosure currently exists for this drive, but I really, really, really hope that is not the case and I would really, really, really like to get at my files.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing?  These tablets and hard drives have been around for a while, but no one has a suggestion for a hard drive enclosure that works with these SSDs to get my data off?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

External SSD card enclosures are all over the place.  You can get them for about $10 and they are universal.

Here is one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M08LCXW?aaxitk=jdPc9vwQQriUNrDliO4zpQ&pd_rd_i=B01M08LCXW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3534726502&pd_rd_wg=2eYB3&pf_rd_r=H8K05DXTRK4P3WW0MWZ1&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=uKgAc&pf_rd_i=ssd+card+enclosure&pd_rd_r=ba981077-1cad-449e-9a87-85991e4bcb19&hsa_cr_id=6247291910201

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Getting the card out of the machine is a whole different ballgame!  Go to http://www.ifixit.com and type in "surface pro 4" and you will find a section for replacing the SSD card.  It will show you instructions on how to get to it but you destroy what is left of the machine doing it.  Since it is already broke, probably no loss but you do get to save your data.

James R. Vinyard

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh well....seeing as how my tablet is basically an $850 drink coaster anyway, I have already completely destroyed it getting the hard drive out, so that's not an issue.  Curiously enough, what I found when I dug inside is that there was basically no thermal paste on the cpu.  Hmmm....wonder if that could have had anything to do with the system failing....

Anyway, I have the external drive out and ready to get data off of it.  And, I know it works.  A tech friend put it in an empty slot in his desktop and was able to see the file structure.  Unfortunately, thanks to BitLocker and all that, he was unable to pull my data off.  I gave him my BitLocker key and all my logins and passwords.  I'm getting really mad about how hard it is for ME to get MY files off this stupid tablet.

I know there are a ton of external enclosures out there.  That's why I was looking for a specific recommendation of an enclosure someone has actually used successfully to get their data off one of these hard drives.  Do you know if the one you linked is PCIe compatible?  Because that's what the drives in Surface Pro 4 are....PCIe SSD.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, if the drive functioned when a tech put it into his computer, the SATA interface is working!

Ask the tech to see if he can view the drive using Linux.  If it is not recognized, then the entire drive is simply encrypted and you are not going to get anything off of it.

You can run Linux "live" mode without installing it and try to view the SSD with it.

I have two external cases myself and they work 100% with just about any SSD card.  I also have a docking station that you can insert the card into it and use it that way also.  All work from a USB.

SATA, by the way is PCIe controlled.

James R. Vinyard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm concerned when you say, "if it is not recognized, then the entire drive is simply encrypted and you are not going to get anything off of it."

If the entire drive is encrypted, then Microsoft needs to have a way to get into it and get MY data off.  I did not encrypt it.  I simply purchased a tablet running Windows 10.  The stupid BitLocker crap is built into the OS.  So, then, what I need to know for the future is how to turn BitLocker off if it is going to keep me from ever getting my own files off my own system that I bought and paid for!  I guess I just don't understand this BitLocker stuff at all.  I get it that it protects you from if your tablet gets stolen and stuff, but why on Earth does it keep you from getting at your stuff yourself?  I gave the drive to a friend who is way more tech savvy than myself.  I gave him all my passwords and even the BitLocker key I found on my Microsoft Account.  He ran a Windows emulator and still couldn't get the files off.  It's BS.  It's frustrating that I can't even get into my own files on a working hard drive.  I sure miss the good ole days.  When my laptop choked on the last Windows 10 update in March and started giving me BSOD, I was able to pull it apart, pop out the hard drive, put it in an enclosure and get my data off before reinstalling the operating system.  

Also, about the enclosures...you say they work with just about any SSD, but can you confirm a specific enclosure that works with the specific SSD out of a Surface Pro 4 tablet?  Because, every single enclosure on Amazon, NewEgg, etc. says down in the specs that they do NOT work with M.2 PCIe SSD.  That's why I am asking for some specific information.  I don't care if they are only $10, I want to make sure it's going to work with this specific SSD before I waste my money.

It shouldn't be this hard to get at my data.  Of course, I also should be able to buy a reliable piece of tech that works for more than a year or at least has the support to help me when it fails.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If Linux can't see the data, then Bitlocker is doing its job.  That means you will still have to use a Windows PC and enter the bitlocker key to access the data.  However, looks like you tried to do that.

Take the drive back to the tech you worked with before who apparently had it functioning.

I have never had a problem from a SSD card by attaching it to either a docking station or an enclosure.  The card or the enclosure has an adapter for the card edge connector which gives it a SATA interface to connect to a standard SATA hard disk cable.  At that point, any computer should be able to read it.

From your first reply, it looks like you did this before and it functioned and asked for the Bitlocker key.  I do not see what the problem beyond that.

Take it back to that tech who worked with it before and try again.  Other than that, you hit the card with a hammer to destroy it and consider your data gone!

James R. Vinyard

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 4,489 Applies to: