Windows Hello can't turn camera on

I just got all the latest Windows updates a week ago or so including the FW updates. Everything worked fine for about a week, including my Windows Hello logon via the camera. Now regardless of whether I do a restart or shutdown/turn on, I get a message at the logon screen that says Windows couldn't turn my camera on. Also under sign-in options I see a message that says "Windows hello is preventing some options from being shown" and I don't see any sign-on option using the camera. The camera works fine from other apps. At startup I didn't see the usual red light come on so I assume this is the IR camera/driver/service that is at fault here.
Answer
Answer

Hello Everyone,

The update to resolve this issue has gone live on Windows Update (you can obtain this fix by checking Settings > Update & security > Windows Update. Once installed, the update will require a reboot to initiate the change)The specific driver will be listed asSurface – System – 1.0.75.1”.

This update addresses an issue that recently impacted the Windows Hello experience on a small number of Surface Pro 4 devices. For the majority of devices, this update will only increment the version number without any functional changes.

Thanks,

BryanH [MSFT]

BryanH_[MSFT]
Microsoft Surface Team
support.microsoft.com/surface

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2020 Views 12,071 Applies to: