I recently bought the new Surface Pro 4 (i7, 512 GB SSD) along with the new docking station. I've experienced some of the general issues that various other people have mentioned (such as the power management/sleep issue) but I'm also seeing an issue that does not yet seem reported.
When I have the new docking station connected, if it's connected to a monitor, the network connectivity sometimes drops. I have been using it without any issues for about 2 weeks, but today I had a lot of trouble connecting to the office WiFi network. The network itself was definitely working properly as it was quick and reliable for several other users, including my own phone. Nonetheless, I rebooted the router to make sure.
Windows simply would not connect to the WiFi network (even though it has always been a saved connection). Trying to connect caused it to sometimes fail and sometimes ask for the network password (and entering it correctly would still fail - but that's another long-standing Windows bug!). Connecting to alternative networks did exactly the same; it would attempt to connect to my phone's portable hotspot, connect and disconnect in a few seconds, retry, and then stop (in a disconnected state). Intermittently it would connect to the network, but sometimes with 'No Internet' and clearly lots of DNS issues in trying to resolve google.com. It sometimes took 30-60 seconds to load google.com.
- Tried disabling and re-enabling the WiFi adapter
- Tried restarting Windows 10
- Tried disabling all other network adapters (the Ethernet port from the dock and two created by VirtualBox)
- Tried removing dock connection
- This is the first time the connection issues were resolved and google.com was loaded (and could be reloaded) within milliseconds
- Re-attached dock and tried removing Logitech unifying receiver (the only USB device plugged in)
- Tried removing monitor
- Everything back to normal, was able to browse very quickly again
- Tried re-attaching monitor
- Network issues again where loading google.com would take around 20 seconds and refreshing the page would also take several seconds
Clearly there is an issue with the external display. The display is a 1080p monitor which is connected via a HDMI cable and a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The strange part is that this problem has never come up before, though in hindsight I would say that browsing at the office has been generally a little bit slower than at home.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? I might try to get an older pre-1.4 spec HDMI cable to see if this has an effect.