Surface Pro 4 Apps crashing. Web browsing slow and cumbersome despite very fast internet.

Just got my Surface pro 4 today in the mail. Set it up and it seemed to be fine after all the updates. Now I've begun to notice some performance issues.  And speaker clicking/sparking noise. Sometimes apps just wont open on the first or third touch. WiFi connection seems to drop intermittently despite software showing connected. This all seems like performance issues with either windows or the device. Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2019 Views 1,130 Applies to:
I'm having all the same issues. I just pulled mine out of the box an hour ago. I'm noticing strange speaker clicks, web pages change to a blue tint, and that is if I can get to a web page.  browser seems to not be connected, Cortana says it can't connect and yet the internet icon shows not having lost connection, apps crash and I've already had a crash requiring data to be sent back to MS.  Its taken me three attempts to post this because of lost connectivity.  What's going on here?  There are no more updates so I don't know what to do.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having all the same issues. I just pulled mine out of the box an hour ago. I'm noticing strange speaker clicks, web pages change to a blue tint, and that is if I can get to a web page.  browser seems to not be connected, Cortana says it can't connect and yet the internet icon shows not having lost connection, apps crash and I've already had a crash requiring data to be sent back to MS.  Its taken me three attempts to post this because of lost connectivity.  What's going on here?  There are no more updates so I don't know what to do.

What you describe sounds just like my experience. Tried to chat with support but couldn't finish because of dropped connections. Someone has to answer this. My device is barely 9 hours old.

Help this

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Cox cable/Xfinity.  There is a registry fix under the Networking section that seems to have fixed my connectivity issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 06:23:53 +0000, MichaelCaliebe wrote:

>>There is a registry fix under the Networking section that seems to have fixed my connectivity issues

what is the exact model number of your router/gateway?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb
Windows Experience MVP

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still experiencing problems.  When the Surface came out of sleep, it said connected in the status bar, but it couldn't get to the internet.  Troubleshooting it told me that I was having Broadband router/gateway issues, however every other computer in the house was connected fine.  The router is an Arris Model TG11682G  802.11ac

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I just opened up my Surface after its been in sleep mode.  No network.  Ran the trouble shooter and it found that wireless network capability was turned off.  what's going on here??

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you try a fix that MS suggested for some other devices?

1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:

Microsoft states there a known issue with .41 that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. They state they are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue

If this does not work, please change the setting back to 1 and reboot again.

Barb
Windows Insider MVP

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have already applied this registry fix.  Although it did improve general connectivity to my router, this didn't fix the issue.  When the unit comes our of sleep, it states it is not connected.  I have to turn off the wireless adapter, and turn it back on before it will see any wireless networks.  If it can't see a network, wouldn't that mean it is a hardware issue rather than a software issue affecting how it connects to my router?

Sorry this didn't help.

Michael,

If it were me, I'd return and repurchase/exchange to rule out bad hardware.

Barb
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

After returning two units, I finally have one working.  I set up the third in the exact same fashion as the other two and tested it for issues after each installation.  For the most part, everything seems to be working.  I still have the speaker pop, but the freezing, waking from sleep issues, and screen flicker seems to have been resolved.

the best I can tell, purchasing another unit from a different manufacturing lot seems to have done the trick.  Two units from Lot 1541 Failed, the unit from Lot 1542 is working.

Sorry this didn't help.