• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

surface pro 4 display adapter crash

grvak asked on
Split from this thread.

Surface pro 4 display adapter error, "Display adapter igfx stopped responding and has recovered", event id 4101. Seems to be only when running Edge.

What date is on the current driver??

255 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Josh_F replied on

Hi All,

We released an update on 2/17/2016 that addresses this issue.

We recommend that you install this update to keep your Surface performing its best. You can get updates now by checking Settings> Update & security> Windows Update.

To confirm the updates are installed, check Settings> Update & security> Windows Update> Advanced options> View your update history.

Thanks,
Josh

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Try a two button reset

Step 1: Swipe in from the right and tap or click Settings, tap or click Power, and then tap or click Shut down to shut down Surface. If you can’t shut down Surface normally, press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.

Step 2: After Surface turns off, press and hold volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.                                                                             

The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.

Step 4: Press and release the power button again to turn your Surface back on.

if this does not work, you will need to exchange it.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP
3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
SteveKinholt replied on

Hi all,  We will be releasing a new driver sometime later today 12/2/15. 

For those that are seeing the following issue, this new driver will improve the situation. 

Display appears to hang, and then you will get a message that the display adapter has reset.  Usually happens in certain scrolling situations on web pages.

We are continuing to investigate the issues that you are all reporting. We are listening.

Joe,

Can I ask why it took 31 pages of complaints on this post, and who knows how many on other posts, for you or anyone at MS to respond?   You must have known about this issue now for the last month since people started to complain about it, right?  Could you have at least come on here and acknowledged that you were aware of it, and were working on it.  Once in a while pop in and chat a bit?  Reassure us?

If you read all the posts here and elsewhere, you will see that you have lost loyal MS customers.  Many of us took or Surface 4 Pro's back.  As for me, I took two of them back for this and other issues that MS has not addresses.

I was ready to go out and buy one of the new Lumina phones too, but forget that!

It is all about communication Joe, and as far as I'm concerned MS is terrible at it.  

Monitor these blogs on a daily basis and respond to us!!!

Thank you.

94 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress