Surface Pro 4 Bulging Battery / Screen. 3 1/2 years old.

So, like many others on this forum, we have a Surface Pro 4, in which the battery has decided to self-destruct, destroying a £1,700 machine.

The screen hasn't popped off, but the battery has swollen enough to prevent the hinge from opening as it should and for the glass on the front to be very distorted, and it registers random screen input, all the while running hotter than the central heating.

I've spoken to support. They unhelpfully told me that because my warranty is up, I would have to pay several hundred pounds (£333) to replace the machine with a refurbished unit. To me, this is completely unacceptable. These devices are clearly flawed by design. This issue is too wide spread for it to be a coincidence. The batteries used in these devices are obviously flawed, and when I suggested as such, Sean L, the person dealing with my case, stopped responding (A few days after that, I wrote to Microsoft's twitter support who confirmed that the case had been closed. Thanks Sean L.)

If the device is dangerous (as suggested by the agent who I spoke to on the phone in the first instance) and it does catch fire while we are away this summer, and it subsequently burns down a multi-million pound Cambridge University building? What then, Microsoft? You'll wish you'd just replaced it then, won't you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have exactly the same problem. Bought an surface Pro 4  in 2017, recently the battery swollen and the screen popped off! I have spoken to CS support which is not helpful at all. they told me that because my warranty is up, I would have to pay $400 to replace the laptop with a refurbished unit. This is absolutely insane to ask your customer pay to exchange an defective item. Shame on you Microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

As I dig deeper into this fiasco I am finding more and more about the possible cause of these battery issues. Going over my battery report I am finding something very strange, first I see that for the first 58 weeks using the system I am seeing an average overcharge on the battery of 278 to 314 mWh and this stops once the May 2017 Firmware and UEFI (103.1684.256.0 improves battery life during sleep.and other Surface drivers) updates are installed in June of 2017. From here I can trace the degradation of the battery immediately after each and every Firmware and UEFI update to the day. The worst degradation I've noticed is immediately after the Aug 2019 Firmware update (Surface – Firmware – 103.2614.257.0) where within a matter of 2 weeks the mWh dropped from 34972 mWh to 28634 mWh and it has been staying within a few hundred mWh per week since then.

I would suggest that everyone do a battery report;

1. Right-click on Start menu
  2. Select Command Prompt
  3. Type following command “powercfg /batteryreport” and hit Enter key. It will generate the battery life report and save it to the current location you located with a file named “battery-report.html”.

And then compare it to the windows updates located at 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023489/surface-surface-pro-4-update-history

The funny thing is.......I was never asked to do a battery report by the "Customer Support person".

Sorry this didn't help.

That's really helpful for technicians doing diagnostics.

My surface was replaced the first year by Microsoft and does show 34972 just like yours - but this machine was replaced last year by Microsoft because it was still under warranty.

But, but, but it still heats up to where its extremely hot. The fan is always on high speed. My co-worker and I pair programmed today on Microsoft Teams and I kept hearing a loud squeaking sound. 

He says, "it comes from my Surface fan. It's always hot, so the fan is running. The squeaking sound started recently."

Meanwhile my other co-worker had to drive into the office 1 hour 48 minutes to drop off the surface in the photo above (with the exploding battery) because he was afraid the thing would catch his home on fire.

Our Team of developers, today, was talked in stand-up about how much productivity we loose having to rebuild these surfaces and get the configuration, software and special settings we use within our developer tools right.

It's just sad.

When we got these surfaces for work, I bought one for college the same year and it was a nightmare. Slow and the disk space continue to fill up with updates from Microsoft.  I gave up on it and gave it away - the surface, pen, keyboard, special Microsoft dock for my multiple screens and all the software to my Son.

Why, because after several months of heavy usage, I found myself uninstalling important software I needed for productivity. Microsoft Updates took up so much space I had less than 64 GB of space for my person stuff. I purchased a 128GB SD Card to make up for the space but couldn't install software on it, which is what I needed seeing I was loosing space on C:

Visual Studio didn't like access external drives for projects. PHPStorm likes to install your configurations on your root profile; it just wasn't working out from a development perspective.

I'm just not happy with the Surface. Microsoft had 5 years of my developer experience to improve the Surface and it has not improved. It has maintained, in my opinion, a steady decline.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.  Bottom right side of the screen is bulging away from the frame.  Didn't an issue like this cause Samsung to replace everyone's phones and then pull them off the market for a while?  I can't fathom why this isn't a class action at this point.  

Sure, it's a four year old system but I've had laptops last far longer than that with no issues.  Moreover, a swelling battery is actually dangerous.  Microsoft, if you're listening, this is a problem that is going to blow up in your face if you don't do something soon.  

On a side note, UbreakIfix can repair this for about $150.  That's my current course of action.

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same problem.  Started getting random screen input several weeks ago on a Surface 4 purchased in 2016.  Support suggested disabling touch screen drivers to stop the random screen activity, then reset the machine to factory state.  They thought it was a software issue.  Then I noticed the screen bulging on the left side.  Now I'm back to using a 12 year old Toshiba laptop which runs okay (on AC at least).

I too would have been happy with a good deal on a Surface Pro 7.  Kind of PO-ed that they washed their hands of this problem.  I always figured the battery would degrade over time and not hold a charge.  I did not expect my Surface to become a FIRE HAZARD.

I never thought about UbreakIfix.  There's one in my neighborhood.  I'll check them out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have given up with Microsoft support. The CSR's have been helpful but no way are Microsoft going to budge from there position of $450 to replace like with like once the device is three years old despite being fully aware of the problem.

When one spends $1800 plus on a device I don't think its unreasonable to expect it to function safely for four years or more. This swollen battery issue, by Microsoft's own admission, means you should discontinue use of the device so if you are not prepared to accept their very bad deal the device is only fit for the trash can.

I would be happy to accept a trade in value equivalent to the $450 replacement cost to buy a newer machine but Microsoft don't listen to that, they just offer you a paltry $115 trade in and stick to their entrenched position so I have decided to move to Lenovo and will never buy another Microsoft device.

However, if anyone is considering class action against Microsoft I would jump at the chance to join he suit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since this issue has been well-known for some time, I think a class-action lawyer or two would have already jumped on this if there was a case to be made.  I, too, would be happy to join.

I decided to bite the bullet and get a Surface 7.  Still the best machine for my needs.  I hope they figured out how to make them right since my Surface 4 and I don't have another time bomb on my desk.

Be well

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased my Surface Pro 4 in February 2017 an having same issues.   I think this warrants a class action lawsuit.   

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased a replacement battery online($50) and took my SP4 into a local Iphone screen repair shop and they replaced the battery in my SP4 for ($40) and now the SP4 is working fine but I will never buy another Microsoft product again...fully loaded SP4, top end model, and it's been nothing but problems, numerous replacements with the bulging screen being the latest from a well known Microsoft defective battery.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Quite agree - Is there anyone out there who knows how to get a law firm interested in organizing a class action suit?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 3,684 Applies to: