Screen bulging and discoloration surface pro 4

My surface pro 4 's screen is discoloured and bulging. It is out of warranty by a couple of months.

Can I get this fixed?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You also have to mention that Microsoft is offering a "Like to Like" exchange (Refurbished) where the "Like" exchange has the "used" original battery. It irritates me that they are pawning off a 'used" product using the exact same components that created the problems in the first place and to top it off only give you a 90 day warranty. So, in 91 days the refurbished product could catch fire. In one of the many conversations I've had with a particular "Surface support person" I asked where these "exchanged" products come from and his reply started a whole new argument, He said that the exchanged products are units that Microsoft uses to test updates and firmware updates and various other tests to which I replied, "Ok, so these units are always plugged to which now leads to a degraded battery which was the excuse you used for my battery failing, until I set the record straight about how my Surface is used", to which he had no reply other then more nonsense about how he just wants me to think of him as my own personal support agent. It's all typical Corporate mentality, deny, deny, deny until they go away.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have the exact count at home with me now, but a conservative estimate is at least 450 Surface 4, 20 Surface 5 (brand new in the past month) and +/- 100 Go tablets (Gos used mainly as kiosks).  Likely more, but again I'm being very conservative.

There are at least five Surface 4 units being quarantined in a fireproof box as of this week.  This is on top of the bulging ones that were under 3 years old we did an RMA on and Microsoft had to eat.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've seen the emails Microsoft sends our techs when attempting to set up an RMA:  They are all canned form letters, duplicated on every RMA ticket we submit.

When phone calls (read: arguments with Microsoft) are involved, the tech feels like they're talking to a bot reading off a script - especially after the tech tells the agent he/she attempted to reimage the unit and the Microsoft genius responds with, "Have you tried reloading Windows yet?" 

Duh.

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb, I understand where you are coming from and I really appreciate your time and effort. However, we need to take all of the documents that Microsoft has in their support section (read that as hidden) about the batteries and look at all of them in one content , but first you need to go to one page that sends you to another page that then sends you to another page and on and on it goes. When Microsoft figured out that the Battery Smart Charging wasn't doing what they expected it to do (strike one) they instituted a firmware update called Battery Limit Mode (No one I know ever received notice that this had to be utilized in the UEFI) but this wasn't done until 2018 which for most of us was 2 years or more from the date of purchase AND more then a year AFTER our warranties expired. AND, they never notified us that these batteries were prone to these types of actions because the Battery Smart Charging wasn't performing as they thought it should (strike 2).  Incidentally, Microsoft instituted a new battery mode in the newest surfaces which leads me to believe either the Battery Limit Load isn't working as they thought it would or they are afraid customers would balk at the possibility that once the customers found out they could only charge these batteries to 50% thus degrading the batteries quicker then normal and they wouldn't buy the product (strike three).  Microsoft conveniently does not supply these documents with their systems AND does not notify it's customers (remember that registration form you had to fill out the day you registered your Surface?) through any of the numerous means available from the registration forms...email, address, phone call about these problems or the solutions. It's become a Con game with Microsoft and we the customers who have spent thousands of dollars have become the marks.

Sorry this didn't help.

That was the next line in the script. Like you said they are like bots, they don't even listen to what your saying and they just keep reading the lines until they get to the last line that say's, "tell the customer we can help them but first they need to give us more money". A con and we are the marks.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb, as I dig deeper into this fiasco I am finding more and more about the possible cause of these battery issues. Going over my battery report I am finding something very strange, first I see that for the first 58 weeks using the system I am seeing an average overcharge on the battery of 278 to 314 mWh and this stops once the May 2017 Firmware and UEFI (103.1684.256.0 improves battery life during sleep.and other Surface drivers) updates are installed in June of 2017. From here I can trace the degradation of the battery immediately after each and every Firmware and UEFI update to the day. The worst degradation I've noticed is immediately after the Aug 2019 Firmware update (Surface – Firmware – 103.2614.257.0) where within a matter of 2 weeks the mWh dropped from 34972 mWh to 28634 mWh and it has been staying within a few hundred mWh per week since then.

I would suggest that everyone do a battery report;

1. Right-click on Start menu
  2. Select Command Prompt
  3. Type following command “powercfg /batteryreport” and hit Enter key. It will generate the battery life report and save it to the current location you located with a file named “battery-report.html”.

And then compare it to the windows updates located at 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023489/surface-surface-pro-4-update-history

The funny thing is.......I was never asked to do a battery report by the "Customer Support person".

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb, as I dig deeper into this fiasco I am finding more and more about the possible cause of these battery issues.

1. Right-click on Start menu
  2. Select Command Prompt
  3. Type following command “powercfg /batteryreport” and hit Enter key. It will generate the battery life report and save it to the current location you located with a file named “battery-report.html”.

And then compare it to the windows updates located at 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023489/surface-surface-pro-4-update-history

The funny thing is.......I was never asked to do a battery report by the "Customer Support person".

Thanks for the tip!

I'm passing this on in my own "KB" memo to all my techs.  This may give me and my boss more ammo to fight them with.

Although Bill Gates has retired, it would be great if he cared half as much about Microsoft's customer base (us) as his dream of Porta-Potties spread across third-world countries.

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly roght, total waste of money. I bought my surface pro4 back in 2015 and after 3 months i started having the phantom touches issue, they replaced my NEW UNIT with a REFURBISHED unit, what a JOKE roght ? Then after a couple of months i started having the screen flickering issue, so again they replaced it with another messed up refurbished unit and now its swollen and luckily i noted it before it explodes. Total waste of money and regret trusting microsoft. You better stick to your windows and software developments and leave the hardwares and laptops for the experts if you cant make WORKING LAPTOP and cant take responsiblity for your products.

Sorry this didn't help.

yes ,that the company error  not the Users.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was told by customer service that I could not get it fixed and that it is not a known issue. I could pay 500 plus for an old surface pro 4 to replace it, but that's all they could do to 'help'.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 28, 2020 Views 367 Applies to: