Microsoft IME High CPU Use After 2016-09-29 Update

I have a UK configured Surface Pro 4 and have the Chinese Simplified language pack installed for it's keyboard options.

Following the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)" on 2016-09-29 the Microsoft IME process is using a large amount of CPU causing my Surface Pro 4 i5 to get very hot, the fan to come on and burning through my battery etc.

I've tried uninstalling the Chinese language pack, rebooting and reinstalling it which has not fixed the problem.

The only way to stop the high CPU use is to uninstall the Chinese language pack, end the Microsoft IME task and reboot the machine.

I assume this is a bug in this Windows 10 update which is going to need fixing.

Edit 2016-10-14:

Despite further windows updates this issue remains two weeks later. I've asked the moderators to escalate the issue to Microsoft but they recommended reporting it via the Windows Feedback hub.

Therefore I've added an issue to the feedback hub with the same title as this thread. Paste this link into Edge to find it easily:

feedback-hub:?contextid=330&feedbackid=dba7030f-cb94-43b7-9575-a21487a1e09c&form=1&src=2

Please upvote the feedback report and hopefully Microsoft might actually do something to fix it.

It's very poor that it hasn't already been fixed.

Edit 2016-12-11:

It appears that the 2016-12-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3201845) has finally fixed this issue.

While the fix is obviously welcome it is very disappointing that it has taken Microsoft 10 weeks for this newly introduced issue to be fixed and that Microsoft didn't even provide an indication they were investigating the issue. This is despite over 1000 people taking the time to vote for this issue on this forum and over 100 people voting for the equivalent issue on the Windows 10 feedback hub.

Overall it has been a poor customer experience.

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2019 Views 16,277 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3201845

Addressed issue that causes excessive battery drain if you have a Chinese Input Method Editor installed and use Windows Hello to log in.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.