Graphic issues with Firefox and Surface Pro 4

Hey,

I recently got a new Surface 4 and I'm experiencing some issues with the display. When using Firefox I often have black pixels and bigger black areas on the screen (see pic). Also the Firefox Tab Bar only appears after mouseover.

Mostly this happens when using Firefox but I also experienced it in Windows Explorer (pic).

Any ideas what might be the problem and how to solve it?

All latest updates are installed as well as for Windows and Firefox.

Many Thanks in advance

Discussion Info

Last updated September 11, 2019 Views 1,395 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check Languages in Options -> Content in Firefox.  Try adding English and German if they are not already there.
I am NOT a Microsoft employee
I just checked, and they are there...

I just checked, and they are there...
Try uninstalling Firefox and installing the English version.
I am NOT a Microsoft employee

I have the same issue on my fully updated English only SP4 (i5/8/256) with Firefox 45.0.1.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers and a couple of different Firefox versions.  No joy. 

I reinstalled the english version of Firefox, and same problems as before. So same for me as for --dash.

Also since it is the new Surface, and I not only had the glitches in Firefox, it feels more related to the graphics than to Firefox as a software...

If had my SP 4 for 4 months now and its still not the experience I was expecting and was promised by Microsoft... it's just really sad

Same Problem here...Firefox 45.0.2, italian version and Surface Pro 4, last drivers installed, all up to date..same glitches..

I will just add another "Me too"

I have had it since day one of getting the 4, I never had the issue with 3, and don't have the issue on other Win10 machines.

This is not entirely a Firefox problem, but it shows up there most often.  It's yet another example of why Intel should leave graphics chips to ATI and Nvidia - they simply don't know how to make graphics work correctly with any kind of decent performance.  (Pretty sure this not really a Microsoft problem, but rather an Intel Skylake/520 graphics adapter problem, like so many others we've had to live with...)

One thing that will trigger this every time on my SP4 is running Firefox in a maximized window on my external 4K monitor, then moving it to the SP4's built-in monitor with the Shift-Win-RightArrow shortcut.  (Moving the other way is way less problematic, which may be a clue to what's going wrong..._

The exact failure mode varies a bit (try flipping the app from screen to screen a few times to see it do different things, sometimes you get a large blank area), but the screen will NOT redraw correctly.  The most common failure mode is a bunch of "Intel droppings" on the screen like the ones in your screenshots.

Rolling your mouse or cursor over the botched parts of the screen will prompt a partial correct redraw for the area right around the cursor, as will minimizing at then restoring the window. 

Intel Qwality in action...

I do not have an external display, but the problem persists.  The April firmware updates did not fix the problem.

I do not have an external display, but the problem persists.  The April firmware updates did not fix the problem.

Could be.  My SP4 is so unreliable waking from sleep that I can really only use it docked.  (It's set to never sleep when plugged in...)

I've got the world's thinnest desktop computer.  Thrillsville.

As for the updates, I think this particular problem is a bit worse after the 4/19 updates, although the graphics adapter crashes less often now...