• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Slow internet on Surface Pro 4

lawrenceshewan asked on

Hi,

My Surface pro 4 which I got from the Microsoft store, internet is running extremely slow.

When I log on it goes fast for about 20 seconds Then drops to a snails speed.

It Also makes all my other devices internet go slow as well.

If I shut down the surface pro 4 then the other devices internet is fast again.

I also have a surface pro 2 with windows 10 which also works fine.

Its just my pro 4? I tried the thing through regedit changing the value from 1 to 0 which didn't do anything.

Is this a hardware fault? Do I need to return it?

Thanks

373 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
A. User replied on

Reply In reply to deleted message

Updated...

Hi Rob,  do not roll your SP4 back to a previous version.  Your SP4 came with a new driver technology called WDI for WIndows 10.  Never roll SP4 or Surface book back to a non-wdi driver.

We run tests in house with your exact setup "Comcast device" and are confirming now. For most people the following workaround will work.  We do not have any known issues with this device.
For the regkey, here are the instructions

1.Press Windows button. Search for regedit. Open it

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mrvlpcie8897

3. Find the item labeled “TXAMSDU”. Double tap and modify the value from 1 to 0

4. Restart the machine

Cause:
We have a known issue with .41 that results in low throughput with specific access points. The issue is specific to MAC layer aggregation (AMSDU over AMPDU) and only impacts a small subset of access points. We are working on a fix for an upcoming update. Until the fix is available, please update the registry key setting to work around this issue

-Joe

116 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Litepurple(2) replied on

The latest Wi-Fi driver 15.68.9037.59 that was pushed out with the firmware updates earlier this week seems to have fixed the WiFi performance for me, plus a positive side effect is that battery life seems to be improved: I was getting about 3-4 hours before and now I'd say 4-5 hours. Still no where near the claimed battery life and I don't push the device hard. I suspect battery life is wrapped up in the power management improvements that are supposedly coming.

Anyway, I can at least use my device consistently now for the purpose it was intended. I had to keep using older PCs and switching to my iPad for Skype calls due to the WiFi issues.

I use an Asus RT-AC68U router on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress