Surface Pro 4 screen flickers

Hello,

I have a Surface Pro 4 that I bought about 6 months ago. Recently I have noticed that the screen starts to flicker/shakes when it's left idle for a few seconds. It stops when I use the mouse or keyboard or touch the screen. It gets really annoying when I'm trying to read from a PDF or something because I need to keep touching the screen or moving the cursor around to prevent the flickering. If someone could help me figure out what the issue is, I'd appreciate it.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 5,702 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We suggest following the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the flickering issue on your Surface Pro 4:

Method 1: Update your display driver.

1. Type device manager on Search/Cortana and select Device Manager from the results.
  2. Once the Device Manager is open, expand the Display adapters section, then right-click the listed adapter and select Update Driver Software...
  3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. The tool will let you know if a driver update needs to be installed or if the display driver is up to date.
  5. If the driver is updated, please proceed to Method 2.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the display driver.

1. Type device manager on Search/Cortana and select Device Manager from the results.
  2. On the Device Manager, expand the Display adapters section, then right-click the listed adapter and select Uninstall.
  3. Do not check the Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Click OK.
  5. The system will prompt you to restart the device, click on Yes.
  6. Once restarted, the system will automatically reinstall the display driver. Once reinstalled, check if the flickering persists.

Method 3: Disable Hyper-V.

If updating or reinstalling the display driver did not work, the issue may be caused by the Hyper-V being enabled. You can disable it by following these steps:

1. Type Windows features on Search/Cortana.
  2. Select Turn off Windows features on or off from the results.
  3. Uncheck Hyper-V and click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I'm now encountering the same issue, I followed the methods above but found that my display driver was up to date, no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall it, the problem still exists. The check box of Hyper-V was already unchecked when I went to Turn Windows Features On or Off.

Just like Dawnguard mentioned in his question, the screen does not flicker when there is something moving, which means it's fine when watching videos or playing games, however, when it comes to document editing or reading or even just displaying desktop, the screen flickers every 4 or 5 seconds for approximately a second or two. The problem started recently, is it because of the system update?

I'm using Surface Pro4 i5 4-128 if this helps...

Looking forwards to your answers,

Lison.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We suggest following the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the flickering issue on your Surface Pro 4:

Method 1: Update your display driver.

2. Once the Device Manager is open, expand the Display adapters section, then right-click the listed adapter and select Update Driver Software...
  3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. The tool will let you know if a driver update needs to be installed or if the display driver is up to date.
  5. If the driver is updated, please proceed to Method 2.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the display driver.

2. On the Device Manager, expand the Display adapters section, then right-click the listed adapter and select Uninstall.
  3. Do not check the Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Click OK.
  5. The system will prompt you to restart the device, click on Yes.
  6. Once restarted, the system will automatically reinstall the display driver. Once reinstalled, check if the flickering persists.

Method 3: Disable Hyper-V.

If updating or reinstalling the display driver did not work, the issue may be caused by the Hyper-V being enabled. You can disable it by following these steps:

1. Type Windows features on Search/Cortana.
  2. Select Turn off Windows features on or off from the results.
  3. Uncheck Hyper-V and click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Hi,

I tried the above steps, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver multiple times, but it's of no use, the screen still flickers. The Hyper V was unchecked in the first place so that was definitely not causing any issue. Nosilil has described the exact same problem that I have. Any further suggestions to resolve this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you access the UEFI (press power button and volume up at startup) and the flicker still occurs in the UEFI screens it's fairly definite the problem is hardware/firmware and not fixable.  You will need a warranty replacement.
I am NOT a Microsoft employee

·

Sorry this didn't help.

No, there's no flickering in the UEFI screens.

Sorry this didn't help.

No, there's no flickering in the UEFI screens.

That's a good sign that it is not hardware and can be fixed by you.  Does the flickering occur on AC and on battery?  How soon does the flickering start after powering up?  What is the version number of Windows 10 installed? ( Use winver in a dos box or the run box to find out.)

I am NOT a Microsoft employee

Sorry this didn't help.

The flickering occurs on both AC and battery. The flickering doesn't start until I open a program or the web browser (happens on Edge, Chrome, Firefox). There's no flickering on the desktop screen.

Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.447

Sorry this didn't help.

Good Afternoon,

So this problem has just started on my Surface Pro 4 as well. 

I followed the recommended steps above and like others, the first two methods did not work (and to make things worse removing the driver and letting the machine reset has resulted in the camera not working, so I now have to use my pin to log in) and the Hyper-V box is already unchecked.  I have Windows version 1607 build 14393.479. 

The problem started two days ago, I believe after the installation of a cumulative update for Windows 10 and an update from Realtek for their high definition audio (SST). 

What now? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Good Afternoon,

So this problem has just started on my Surface Pro 4 as well. 

I followed the recommended steps above and like others, the first two methods did not work (and to make things worse removing the driver and letting the machine reset has resulted in the camera not working, so I now have to use my pin to log in) and the Hyper-V box is already unchecked.  I have Windows version 1607 build 14393.479. 

The problem started two days ago, I believe after the installation of a cumulative update for Windows 10 and an update from Realtek for their high definition audio (SST). 

What now? 

Hi,

Let's check on this. Run the System File Checker Tool so we could ensure the systems' integrity. After running it, go ahead and check for updates just to ensure all updates are installed properly.

Let us know if the steps resolve the issue.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Found a workaround! :-)

I have the same issue: screen starts flickering after 3-4 seconds. I'm using a Surface Pro 4, it started after an update a few weeks ago. 

I've tried all suggestions from this forum, nothing worked: reinstall drivers, disable Hyper-V, etc...  System File Checker was ok.

Flickering stops when I move the mouse, or when there is a video on screen. Or something is moving on screen.

So.... what I did is... I've added seconds to task bar clock. Instead of hh:mm, it displays hh:mm:ss. Now refresh takes place every second.

Flicker has disappeared. :-)

Whatever the problem is, I still have it on my Surface until Microsoft publishes a solution. If I have a full screen app and task bar disappears, still having the same flickering problem.

But in the meantime, it works fine.

Here you have how to show seconds on taskbar: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-get-the-windows-10-clock-to-show-seconds/816c489c-2e93-45ce-ad56-9b9b9b93013f 

Hope this helps!!

Miquel Rodriguez

57 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.