Question

Q: Surface Pro 4, Screen Flickering, Shacking

Hi All,

UPDATE: Check FlickerGate.com for videos of the problem and to submit your own. 

I purchased SP4 device a few months ago and it was working fine for a month. Then I noticed that when the CPU is at its max, the screen flickers a bit. Investigating further revealed that it flickers even if it is setting idle. It does not flicker if at least one of the following thing is done:

1. A video being played in browser 

2. If I keep the touch screen busy by either taping it or keeping a finger on it

3. If I use the touchpad

4. If keyboard is used for typing

This resulted in making the device completely unusable while reading articles or ebooks. I am a developer, most of the time I have to read the code and to do that, I have to constantly keep a finger on the touch pad or the screen. I contacted surface support in October and November and was told that the developers are working on the patch. Looking at the updates the developers are pushing since then, I don't think anyone is even aware of the problem there. 

My previous support ticket numbers are:

***deleted personally identifiable information***
 ***deleted personally identifiable information***

Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem (and the fix) and if not, what's the procedure for the refund? I will rather go for a mac then sacrificing $2000+ for a dancing screen.  

Kind Regards,

Abbas

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I got this problem few month ago, but after an update, the problem disappear. Got a windows update this morning, and now the screen is flicking and shaking again.
But if I open task manager and put it on the screen, the flicking stops, so now I have to work like this...keep the task manager on the right side of the screen.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

79 people were helped by this reply

Hi Tzuwen,

I think we have the same problem, Though the screen flickers most of the time, But when I open an IDE like phpstorm or run a virtualization provider like VirtualBox, then the intensity increases. I don't know what the task manager do, but as long as I have an active screen i.e any window changing the data whether numbers or images, The screen stays still. 

Its getting really frustrating. Hoping to get a fix soon 

Sorry this didn't help.

16 people were helped by this reply

I too have had this problem.  Seems to occur when the SP4 has been on for a couple of hours and heats up.  I have the SP4 connected to a larger display which I use as a desktop.  The second display works fine, but the screen on the SP4 flickers and blurs making it totally unreadable.  Given that the second display works fine (connected by SP Hub) it seems more like a software issue than a hardware issue.  Hope they can fix.  I've got all the current updates and issue still occurs.

Totally agree with the others comments that if you have an active window open it doesn't occur.

Sorry this didn't help.

18 people were helped by this reply

Surface Support team is going to call me this week, I have already provided the necessary details. Hope they will be able to figure out the problem and fix it ASAP. I will keep this thread updated with the details from the surface support team here. 

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

So I had a play around with the settings.  I manually downloaded both the Surface Display Driver and also the graphics driver and updated those.  Once that was done I then went into the advanced display settings and noticed that the resolution was set on the recommended (2736 x 1824) but the custom scaling level was at 150% which was not the recommended.  i changed it to 200% being the recommended setting.

I have been using the SP$ for 2 days now without the issue reappearing at all.  Hope this helps.

Update:  Problem has re occurred.  The above did not fix anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

13 people were helped by this reply

I have been trying such fixes from blogs and reddit posts. Nothing available online is fixing it . I have wasted several days watching my screen while Surface support agents were installing and removing drivers, users and other software. At the end, all I got was that our engineers are aware of the problem and are working on it.  I am gonna right a post on my blog about this, Hope it will save someone else from throwing few thousands dollars for a "Parkinsonized" screen with bleeding lights.

Sorry this didn't help.

28 people were helped by this reply

Hello Abbas,

To verify, have you already tried the solutions here?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

18 people were helped by this reply

Hi Charline,

Yes I have tried that and with the task manager windows active, nothing flickers. I don't have any of the three mentioned apps. The screen flickers even when  I just start the device. I allowed the support agents to have full control of my device and they were also not able to figure out what's causing the problem.

If MS provides any utility which can detect such apps or a procedure to find out the root of the problem then it will be grade. And Thanks for reply Finally.

Cheers,

Abbas

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

I have exactly the same problem as well! I am a student and I also read a lot of articles and journals on my surface, and now the screen is totally unusable. I too, need to connect to an external display to read texts without the flickering screen. The surface team was willing to send me a replacement but I feel it is too much trouble for me to send the faulty device back (and I seriously suspect that the replacement would also have got the same problem) therefore I haven't started the procedure for the replacement yet. I do hope they can fix it as soon as possible! I like surface when it's working properly, this is just frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

You took the words out of my mouth. For me, replacement will cost upto $600 just in postal service. (Excluding the hazards or sending and receiving). Only thing I am doing currently is to point out this problem again and again on twitter to surface team. https://twitter.com/surface  And I ask you guys to do the same.

The support team didn't even called me. I don't think they are even considering to diagnose the problem. let alone fixing it. I would have never complained if it was a moderately priced device, but for such a premium device, its a point of shame for Microsoft team.

Sorry this didn't help.

89 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 75096 Last updated: February 23, 2018 Applies to: