Surface 4 Pro screen bulging at lower left edge and separated from the frame

I have a Surface 4 Pro that I purchased in March 2016. Over the last few days, I was seeing a considerable color bleed on lower left edge of the screen. Then I stared noticing that that type cover does not seem to close flat against the screen. On closer inspection, I found that the screen is bulging (curving out) on the lower left side and the screen edge has separated from the frame, exposing a gap, Some of the circuitry inside seems to be pushing out as well from what I can see through the gap, indicating something inside is exerting an outward pressure. I pushed the screen back in and with a little pressure it got flattened. However, after a few minutes use, the screen bulged out again. There is no physical damage to the screen, the bezel or the device in general, no cracks or scratches.

What is causing this and what is a possible solution?

Thanks,

Deepak

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't want to give anything more for this trash, i mine microsoft. my surface cost 2500 €. I think I gave too much money to break two months after the warranty was over. No one can convince me that it was not intentionally done.
Microsoft management is lazy, money hungry, and on the way out, Kodak like.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Occasionally mine wold not turn on after the battery went completely dead.  Even after charging.

Try holding power button down 30 seconds.  

Try holding both Power and volume up button down 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4036280/surface-force-a-shut-down-and-restart-your-surface

good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't work. I bought a new battery so I could get the data out of this trash, but to no avail. apparently the previous battery made a short circuit, which sputtered the resistors. It's too complex for me to find fault ....
if you have this trash, change it urgently because I relied on "quality". Which does not exist.

I prepared a letter to send to schools to at least protect children in Austria from buying this bomb. I have all  pictures, since the beginning of the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hola! 

As a consumer and user I believe that there's a life to any machine. 

Yes we now a days depend extremely on the machines and when they break the trust, there's a heavy heart break. 

Microsoft as a company has always created helpful products, but complete dependence is our mistake as the users. 

Still with all their hardware trouble right from collapse of WP, which I'd been the user since the launch in 2011 and then with surface Pro 4. I had it replaced last year for the same issue. But again I have the flicker on the screen. 

I'm neither here to stand against the MS hardware nor to cover for the products. At the end it's a machine and the failures of the dependable product is heartbreaking. 

I'm sure there's a learning for all of us as the consumer as well as MS as the producers. 

Belief is what has always lead to the better future for both the believers and as well as to be believed

Anurag. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't feel this heartbroken, how sorry I was to be an idiot. i paid that computer too much money, i have a lot of projects done in matlab. And after all, I get the information that after 2500 € I need to pay another 650 € for a new laptop, which will have a 90-day guarantee. so really they are playing with someone’s intelligence.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do not use it. Call support and ask for a manager. Keep calling. They don't all apparently have the same responses. There is plenty of evidence in this forum that if within 3 years of original purchase and battery is bulging that they are replacing for free.

Can confirm, I have the same issue and was just called by the customer service. I bought my device in december 2015 so its beyond the extended 3yr warranty. The service rep told me that the device is too old to be replaced for free and my only options would be to pay the fee of 450€ for a refurbished SP4 with the same specs or try to use the MS Trade-In - which would yield an amazing 8,97€.

Don't know what I'll do with this device for now, but I certainly won't buy a refurbished SP4 for 450€.

Sorry this didn't help.

They are supposed to be offering a SP5 instead of a SP4 now for this price. Call
back, ask for a manager, and let us know?

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

that's what I'm talking. those € 450 are tax free.

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting reading thru the various posts - mostly from people like me who are totally p****d off with MS for not addressing this swollen screen issue earlier.  I too have a SPro4 with a screen that has swollen and warped over time and has now finally given up altogether.  I purchased it Dec 2015 so it is of course well out of warranty now and I should have complained sooner.

I wish I had.

However, today I finally contacted MS Support and to be fair they called me right back and I talked thru the issue and they offered to replace it with a new one for £428.  I asked what warranty was offered with the replacement  (knowing full well the swelling on mine started to occur about 18 months after purchase) and was amazed to learn it comes with 3 months warranty...****.  No he wasn't kidding either.

He tried to convince me that electronic products are subject to all sorts of environmental issues that can lead to problems.  I pointed out that having used a laptop since the late 1980s AND travelled with them all around the world I have NEVER had any screen distortion, heating up or swelling of the Toshiba, Asus, HP, Dell or Sony products I have been using at the time.

Perhaps I should have told him I still have most of them, screens intact and still functional!!

Wasted my breath really.

Have to say VERY disappointed MS.  Loved your product, bought it for its lightweight and innovative style but if you think I am going to pay £428 for another one for a miserable 3 months warranty given my latest experience you are on the wrong planet.

So I am forced to stop praising what was a wonderful product and warn anyone thinking of buying one, not to.  Dell, Sony, etc, are no doubt happy!!

So if you are new to the Surface Pro and just reading this - be warned.  Read all the notes that precede mine; it makes sad reading.

Very disappointed......

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone solved this problem meaningfully ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2020 Views 16,361 Applies to: