Several issues about screen (brightness, color temperature, touch, pen, and so on)

I know that these issues have been reported by other people, but I encountered more than one issues. And some of my issues are different from others.

First of all, my screen brightness level break this morning. No one else has mentioned this. It just go dark from time to time, even if I turn off the auto adjust brightness. It just dim for 1 second, then normal, then dim, then normal. Really driving me crazy.

Then you guess what? When it went dim, I noticed that the system brightness level was set to 25% for 1 second! During the winking, the brightness level bar just jumped from 25% to 75% every second!

The second problem: color temperature is not stable.

1. As everyone says, scrolling in Edge or other program would have a chance to change the color temperature of whole screen

2. The most strange thing is, even I didn't scroll the screen, the temperature could change too! Maybe related to the video advertisement on the webpage, which just occupies such a little area of screen.

The third problem: screen black out

When scroll something (for example, last time I encountered this problem is in "Get Started" App. ) to the end or beginning, the whole screen would go to dark completely!

The fourth problem: lose pen/touch screen

There is a time that both my touch screen and pen cannot work. I have to use the keyboard to restart my surface.

But another situation occurred more frequently: just the pen can't work.

Note: I am sure that I have Bluetooth enabled, and the pen is not hibernating. Because when I press the end of the pen, OneNote can come out, I just can't use my pen to write anything!

The fifth problem: display driver break 

And I want to add more: Hyper-V is disabled at my computer. So don't tell me to deal with it.

You really should tell intel to fix their damned display driver ASAP.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2019 Views 1,621 Applies to:

I also have the changing white balance/screen temperature problem when using the Edge browser with my surface pro 4.  I have confirmed that the same websites that cause problems with Edge do not cause problems with Chrome so this problem appears to be specific to edge on my machine.  Microsoft please update Edge to fix this behavior!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the screen brightness flashing issue before. I found out the reason was that I was charging my Blackberry Passport (Yes, I use a blackberry) using the USB connector on the surface pro 4 brick. So what is happening is that the brick doesn't have enough amp to charge both device at the same time. The charging indicator with the white light at connector also flashes in this situation. I also tried to charge my BT earbuds which works fine simultaneously with the surface charging brick. So my conclusion is that BB passport needs more amp to charge, and surface pro 4 charger can't do both at the same time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my occasion is different. I didn't see the light of charger flashing.

And the power supply could not explain why the brightness level changing from 25% to 75% from time to time.

I read about some posts about the same problem of Surface Pro 3, at that time, this is a bug of Intel's display driver. The temporary solution is to install Intel's display driver control panel, and turn off the energy saving setting.

Luckily, the brightness issue haven't occurred for last 2 days. I hope it won't occur in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

same pen and screen issues. reboot fixes screen problem, but not pen. pen randomly comes back on its own

Sorry this didn't help.

I know that these issues have been reported by other people, but I encountered more than one issues. And some of my issues are different from others.

First of all, my screen brightness level break this morning. No one else has mentioned this. It just go dark from time to time, even if I turn off the auto adjust brightness. It just dim for 1 second, then normal, then dim, then normal. Really driving me crazy.

Then you guess what? When it went dim, I noticed that the system brightness level was set to 25% for 1 second! During the winking, the brightness level bar just jumped from 25% to 75% every second!

The second problem: color temperature is not stable.

1. As everyone says, scrolling in Edge or other program would have a chance to change the color temperature of whole screen

2. The most strange thing is, even I didn't scroll the screen, the temperature could change too! Maybe related to the video advertisement on the webpage, which just occupies such a little area of screen.

The third problem: screen black out

When scroll something (for example, last time I encountered this problem is in "Get Started" App. ) to the end or beginning, the whole screen would go to dark completely!

The fourth problem: lose pen/touch screen

There is a time that both my touch screen and pen cannot work. I have to use the keyboard to restart my surface.

But another situation occurred more frequently: just the pen can't work.

Note: I am sure that I have Bluetooth enabled, and the pen is not hibernating. Because when I press the end of the pen, OneNote can come out, I just can't use my pen to write anything!

The fifth problem: display driver break 

And I want to add more: Hyper-V is disabled at my computer. So don't tell me to deal with it.

You really should tell intel to fix their damned display driver ASAP.

I will return my brand new surface 4.

Randomly britness level is decrease by it self (color is change too.I gues that level britness randomly change level to dark and diferent color). This is happing many times on Edge browser.

Second problem is random and strange pook sound noise for a second.

From the beging I have too problem with pen. I remove batery from pen and then put it back. Now I do not have any problem. Still do not know what pen buttons do? I thing that pen button not work at all. May be must be connected to bluethoo? Please help me.

Support from Microsoft is not good too.

Please help me.

What to do? So expensive price for this goods.

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally agree with what Jin Wang said.  

I had a case where my SP4's screen kept flashing bright/dim.  Tried just about everything including turning off HyperV.  Also saw in settings that the brightness bar kept jumping.  Then noticed the light on the power connector going on and off, as well as the battery gauge in the notification bar saying "Charging/Not Charging" even though it did see the power as being plugged in the whole time.

Noticed that I have my Galaxy Note Edge plugged into the SP4 brick's USB port.  As it is a high drain phone (which was low on battery at the time so actively charging), I unplugged it.  Poof!  Problem went away...  

So I can totally confirm that - at least in my case - the screen flicker issue was totally due to too much draw from a device plugged into the USB port on the power brick.  

That said, IMHO - this is an issue with the power brick, as if its designed to allow a USB device to draw 1A @ 5v, a the device should not be able to draw more than 1A, nor should anything drawing 1A @5v in any way affect the ability of the power brick to adequately charge the SP4.  At worse, if a USB device is drawing too much, the adapter should shut it off, and not reduce power to the Surface below what it needs to charge.  

Brian

Sorry this didn't help.