How do I switch from tablet mode to keyboard?

How to i switch back to keyboard mode? My surface has defaulted to tablet mode which i dnt want.

thanks

Hi Extuary,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community.

Simply tap this icon  located on the bottom right hand side of your Surface device which is next to date and time, look for Tablet Mode and check if it's ON, if it shows ON, kindly tap it to turn it off.

If this answers your question, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately using the icon on the task bar to change from tablet to keyboard mode isnt working. Please can you advise.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Extuary,

Thank you for your response.

Are you tying to say that clicking the icon won't load up anything? It should load the information you can find on the link below.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027960/windows-10-turn-tablet-mode-on-or-off

If clicking the icon doesn't do anything, kindly, detach the keyboard, press and hold the power button and the volume up (+) up until the device shuts down. Then, turn it back on, re-attach the keyboard and follow the instructions on that link I provided.

If it is not doing anything, kindly download this in-place upgrade to further troubleshoot the issue. Downloading the tool will not delete the files nor the applications you already installed, this will just re-update your device to the latest drivers and repair those that are corrupted. Just click "Download Tool Now", hit Next once you see "Upgrade This PC". Once done, you have to re-perform the instructions to turn off Tablet Mode again.

If this helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed your instructions exactly but the surface still stays in tablet mode even though the icon shows that it is turned off.

do you have any further advice? I find tablet mode very difficult to use and need to be able to use the keyboard.

thankyou

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Extuary,

Thank you for keeping me posted. I'm sorry for the delayed response.

If there's nothing wrong with the keyboard whenever you connect it to the device, then the best resolution I can suggest is to reset your Surface back to its default settings that is if you downloaded the in-place upgrade and it didn't help.

To reset the device back to default settings, please visit this link :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023533/surface-restore-or-reset-surface.  Please save all your files before choosing remove everything.

If resetting the device helps, feel free to mark this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. Please could you tell me how to save all my files and photos before i restore? Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Extuary,

You can save all your files by backing it up to the cloud using OneDrive. It's a cloud storage application and would give 1 TB of storage if you have an Office 365 subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you have 5GB of storage by default. If you have a lot of files and 5GB is not enough, you can also back it using a USB flash drive.

To back up your files through the OneDrive app, please visit this link :https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Files-save-to-OneDrive-by-default-in-Windows-10-33da0077-770c-4bda-b61e-8c8e8ca70ac7

To back up files using a USB flash drive, you can search for instructions online on how to successfully do it.

Kind Regards,

Crest_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2021 Views 1,986 Applies to: