Surface Pro 3 Keyboard Dock with Hinge

Hi Surface team and Surface fans,

TL;DR Build a keyboard dock/base with a hinge that can support the SP3 without the use of the kickstand #lapability

I've been unimpressed with previous gen Surface devices, but it looks as though third times the charm. There is a lot to love about the newly announced Surface Pro 3 (hinge, angled type cover, 3:2 aspect ratio, the outstanding incorporation of the digital pen into the software), but from all the early journalistic accounts, the Surface Pro 3 still can't be used (comfortable or at all depending on your leg length) in your lap. The kickstand plus keyboard is just too long to work.

We need a proper Keyboard Dock with a hinge that can support the device (no kickstand necessary).

I know you spoke with at least one journalist at the event (perhaps Mary Jo... can no longer remember after reading as many hands on impressions as I could) who reported you had considered (and gotten pretty far along with) keyboard dock with a hinge that would support the SP3 without need of the kickstand. Unfortunately you told them that you felt it was clunky and inelegant. Its clear that design is very important to the Surface team and I applaud the design decisions you have made with the SP3. That said, you are releasing a product that functionally requires a more robust keyboard dock accessory (if you truly believe this device can replace both tablet and laptop).

I could claim that I will not purchase this device unless you release such an accessory but that would be a lie. I love the SP3 you introduced and will make due with this one shortcoming. I must repeat however that for a team so concerned with design this is an absolute design flaw and should be addressed in the near future. With all the amazing engineering that went into the SP3 I refuse to believe that the same team can't come up with an elegant way to provide a stable keyboard base that supports this device.

Love to hear current Surface owners and soon to be SP3 owners thoughts on such an accessory

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

"We need a proper Keyboard Dock with a hinge that can support the device (no kickstand necessary)."

Completely agree. I think this is perhaps the most interesting device to come out of any hardware manufacturer in recent years, but this is the only missing piece. If you could introduce an option that has a keyboard dock with a hinge, it would be the perfect device for many people. 

I realize that this may appear clunky to some people, but the fact is, the keyboard is sold as an optional accessory anyway. It's completely up to the consumer to select the keyboard that works best for them (just like the Type/Touch covers for the previous Surface devices). 

At the very least, I hope there will be third party accessories that can do this job, but ideally, it would be a MS product with the same design and build quality. The need for a truly "lappable" keyboard option is the only thing holding me back from pre-ordering it right now. I'm not very tall, and it's likely that the current configuration won't fit very easily in my lap. 

Glad someone else thinks this is needed too. Hope someone at Microsoft is listening!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Strongly agree. When I am in my lab, I have to type a lot with my laptop on my leg.  A dock which can fix the tablet with the keyboard allow you to type in any gesture you want. It allows you rest your hands more comfortably and type more efficiently. Besides, how could you type while you are standing and talking to someone? In this case, keyboard dock is necessary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The new Pro 3 kickstand has a friction feature where it will adjust to about 120 degrees or more.  The first and second generation models may have been an issue there but the Pro 3 - that should work quite well.
James R. Vinyard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a cool idea, but I think there is a valid reason for why they chose not to do this.  Think about the weight distribution, unless they make the keyboard dock just as heavy as the SP3, it would not sit on your lap at all, infact it would probably have to be a bit heavier than the SP3.  The only justification for the weight might be to put a huge battery in the keyboard dock, but unless you need to have 20-30hrs of battery life I think it'd be a pretty tough sell, as you'd end up with a device that's heavier and thicker than a mac book air.

Note however that the new kickstand isn't notched like the old one, i.e. it doesn't have 2-3 set positions, it will hold itself at any angle you desire, going back to almost being flat.  I find it is actually fairly easy to use on your lap with the kickstand angled back all the way it's very stable, legs crossed or not.  The only time it's unstable is while you are actually crossing/moving your legs....  If your main usecase for the device requires it to be stable on your lap while you move your legs around all the time, then you probably want a MacBook air.  But do you really need to be able to continue typing while your re-arrange your legs?  I wrote this entire post with my SP3 with type cover on my lap with my legs crossed...  I even re-arranged my legs a few times for good measure :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well the Pro 3 was demonstrated on a persons lap (speaker of the conference).  He sat on a box like somebody would site on a curb and extended the kickstand all the way (friction feed) and it worked perfect.  It had the right viewing angle to work with and stable for you to use both the keyboard and the pen.

A lot of people didn't see the conference or saw the kickstand in action.

Now, the docking station is not portable.  That stays in an office or home.  In fact, that is the purpose of the docking station.

Once people start seeing it in action, the complains about the kickstand will end.

Also, with a kickstand, you can detach the keyboard and just sit the tablet on a desk or table and play a game, watch a movie, check emails, or let the machine sit at the side to display the weather.  You can't do that with a regular tablet except for a few Android models.

I see no problem with the kickstand.  I have the RT and use it all the time - even on my lap.

James R. Vinyard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also wishing for a different keyboard solution- but for different reasons.  I am surprised not to see more commentary about this.  I travel heavily. The Kickstand / keyboard combination takes up a lot of depth on a fold down or armrest tray on a plane or train.  Slide the Surface back an inch or so for better viewing and the kickstand will run off the back edge.  Gravity takes over at the point and the entire unit hits the floor.  Maybe it is heresy, but iPad users have a range of keyboard covers, many of which stand the unit up in a physical groove that is not only steady but does not require significant depth to use.  Given that I need the i7/ 500 GB version, I am not wild about the extra cost.  But this feature is what is keeping me from ordering mine immediately.

I had a Surface Pro 2 for about a week.  Screen was a challenge for my eyes but the big thing was that one 3 hour plane trip convinced me it was not a workable form factor.  Most road warriors want power and speed in a very lightweight package- but it if it is not easy to use on a plane, train for crowded flight lounge- it is a non starter.  Microsoft... are you listening here?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can see your point with the kickstand taking space.  With laptops, I do that myself.

That keyboard, even though good, is flimsy when it is on your lap and the kickstand relies on both legs in a fixed position to maintain a stable platform.

I had bought the Asus T100 and it has a mechanical hinge for the keyboard dock and something like that would probably be ideal.  You will be talking about adding more weight when you solidify the design of the keyboard plus adding USB ports (and other ports as well) to it to even include possible battery packs for a 'powered' keyboard.

Essentially, you would end up with a laptop and just defeated the purpose of a tablet altogether.

HP and other companies make these and they are called "hybrids".  They already exist.

The biggest problem I see is that they don't have "Microsoft" labelled on them.  Everybody is fixated with the brand of the tablet and not its capabilities.  Microsoft themselves sell the other brand tablets, laptops, and desktops and that Asus T100 "Transformer" I have; Microsoft actually spent money on a TV/Internet commercial advertising it.  Asus didn't spend a dime.

Microsoft doesn't care what you buy, they get your money anyhow with the operating system (plus some of the other software as well).  They make money either way.  And, you get what you want from a variety of PC makers.

James R. Vinyard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes- I have been looking at hybrids, but for myself and my kid who is off to college this year.  Challenge for me is weight.  Even with the added weight of a modular keyboard- the Pro 3 is about 1 lb lighter than most of the others.  I am carrying a Macbook Air 11" now and have been spoiled on 8 hour battery and < 2 lbs lbs in my bag even with a charger.  Just cannot get the functionality I need with MAC OS.

I also want the pen computing in my next  unit.  The "holy grail" for me is to take notes on a tablet the way I would on a pad and paper- but to have something useful when it is done.Ultra's all seem to be between releases or have quality issues.  Thinkpad Yoga has what I need- including i7 power and speed and 500 GB storage- but it weigh in at 3.5 lbs.  Light weight in the larger world of things- but about 2x what I am carrying now.  SP3 with a decent keybaord/ form factor would be the best combination- although $2k price tag is hard to swallow.

This should not be so complicated!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, the weight is going to be the problem with a rigid keyboard.  And in order to do that, you have to increase the mass of the keyboard which in turn adds to the weight of the overall unit.

As I had mentioned of the Asus T100 I have, the keyboard weighs almost as much as the tablet itself.  A little lighter, of course, but only by a few ounces at most.  This particular tablet is cheap built and all plastic (including the screen) but the little rascal is tough as nails.  You can throw it in a backpack and not worry about the screen cracking.  I keep it configured as a mini-notebook and don't really use it as a tablet.

About the only materials I know of that are super tough and super lightweight to achieve what you want are Titanium and Carbon Composite.  That would end up being a $6,000 tablet.  I spent 16.5 years of my 20 year career in the Marine Corps in Aviation and know those two materials very, very, well.  Carbon Composite would end up being too thick for the casing so that would really leave Titanium (that is where the price tag would come in).  It is a super lightweight metal and would make a perfect laptop/tablet chassis to provide that super thin design and have a rigid mechanical latch for a very stiff keyboard.

Plastic would be the only alternative to keep the costs down but you have an increase in weight.  You still end up with a machine that would be a laptop in weight.

The machine you want would end up with the same weight as the Yoga.

Now, the price tag, I don't blame you.  If you can tolerate a 10.1" screen, the Asus T100 is available for $350 (ATOM processor) and $800 for an i5 version.  You can find both of those on Microsoft's online store located in the "2 in 1" section.  Rigid keyboard (included, not an accessory) with a mechanical hinge (no magnets).  It only has one camera but does have a Broadcom WiFi adapter and a mini-USB standard power port.

So, to do that with the Surface tablets; you will end up adding weight.  It can work, though (made of aluminum).

James R. Vinyard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand your point about a hinged keyboard to require additional weight in order to offset the weight of the Surface, but I disagree.

A hinged keyboard would give me more flexibility with the device.  If I am on a hard surface, the kickstand will suffice with the keyboard.  If I am in bed or supporting the Surface on my lap, the hinged keyboard will support it while my hands, which are typing on the keyboard, will be providing the stability.

Personally, I like the Surface with the kickstand for many use-cases but require a hinged keyboard for others and without it, I do not know if I will buy it.  Hopefully a 3rd party will come up with one if Microsoft does not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 1, 2023 Views 12,209 Applies to: