Microsoft Surface pro 3 battery problem (Please help)

Hello please bare with me, i like to explain to the best that i can.

So i bought a Microsoft surface pro 3 (i5 256gb 8gb ram) from ebay, when i bought it was roughly about july or june (can't remember) when i got it it would not turn on at all (unless the charger was plugged in) i tried updates on it to possibly fix it, but i could not fix it,so i contacted the person i bought it from ,and he said he's not used the warranty yet, so i set up the device on my account. and spoke to microsoft live support, and they tried to help me to the best they could, but i was still having problems with it, so they got me to get this device exchanged. 

So i sent it away took 3days to reach them and i got it back within another 2-3days (so it was a pretty fast service) so as i turned on the microsoft surface pro 3 (without the charger) omg it worked and i was so happy... But that would be about to change. Because it seemed like the battery had draining issue's. and would drain really fast. so as you may know by now i got even more frustrated as i would expect something i sent to microsoft to exchange and make sure its fully working, to not do this. (i contacted live chat again) they were helpful about it like usual) but it came back to getting it exchanged for the SECOND time. 

Summary I get from ebay > i send to microsoft > i get it back > send to microsoft for a 2nd time. 

So i got it back, and seems its still having issue's with battery being drained (I've checked for all updates / Battery report /firmware. and someone on support even suggested me to refresh/reset the PC and even make a recovery Image. Which i've tried all of that. and now, When my microsoft surface pro 3 is on. its battery % jumps randomly.

I'm writing here because Live chat is closed. and i think i know what is going to happen. they'll do ANOTHER exchange for the 3rd time. and I'm scared i'll keep having to do exchanges with microsoft... I really don't understand how this would happen to me 2 times in a row. as the person on live chat reassured me this does not normally happen, when they do an exchange. 

Feedback on how i should handle this would be highly appreciated! 

Hello Hugh0o

Thanks for reaching out to us.  Sorry to hear about the experience you have had.

Can you elaborate when you refer to draining issues of the battery, please supply details.  Remember that battery life will vary based on the apps and programs being used, among other factors.

Best regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Hugh0o

Thanks for reaching out to us.  Sorry to hear about the experience you have had.

Can you elaborate when you refer to draining issues of the battery, please supply details.  Remember that battery life will vary based on the apps and programs being used, among other factors.

Best regards

Battery draining as in, When I  was on the default operating system i got with the microsoft surface pro 3, (win8.1) the battery would drain doing nothing. and then when i updated it to windows 10, i could see the battery bar, and it kept jumping randomly sometimes it would be at 50% battery saying 51minutes left, then when it goes to 48% battery it would say 1h-26 minutes This is the 3rd device this is been happened on. > I''m going to send it away for a 3rd exchange... but i think 99.99% chance when I get it back it'll be like the other 2, since microsoft who send replacments don't seem to look at devices they are giving their customers or I'm very unlucky getting a battery problem'd device for the 2nd time in a row. from the first exchange. I've not had time to exchange it due to a busy work schedule. 

You don't know how many times I've reformatted it / reset the PC / Factory resetted the PC > Done ALL windows updates. and still having this problem, I am very disappointed. I'd rather get a refund on the amount and just buy a brand-new one that won't have ANY issues (I hope)

What will happen when i send this away for the 3rd time, and it has another battery problem what will i do then? i know i can exchange it unlimited times because of my warranty, until that expires, but what the hell is the point of me doing that when all i want to do is have a device I PURCHASED to work for around 9hours as stated by the company roughly 7-9hours > wheni don't even get 1-2-3hours out of it because its always messing up the %...

Looking forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a perfect example of "Caveat Emptor".  Several Microsoft Surface Pro 3s were purchased where I work and it's my job to configure them.  They are hopeless pieces of garbage.  Not only would I not purchase a Surface tablet, but I wouldn't even keep one of these things if someone offered it to me for free, they are really that bad.  

Your best bet is to put it on ebay and hope you can find someone who is willing to buy it from you, so you can go out and buy a real laptop. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a perfect example of "Caveat Emptor".  Several Microsoft Surface Pro 3s were purchased where I work and it's my job to configure them.  They are hopeless pieces of garbage.  Not only would I not purchase a Surface tablet, but I wouldn't even keep one of these things if someone offered it to me for free, they are really that bad.  

Your best bet is to put it on ebay and hope you can find someone who is willing to buy it from you, so you can go out and buy a real laptop. 

I've got a real laptop G750 18gb ram i7 1tb ssd / I just wanted a Microsoft surface pro for other stuff lol 

I purchased this on ebay and thenIi found out about the unused warranty so i made it into my hotmail account an if i sold it on ebay, and the person who buys it hates the battery issue then they would try to get their money back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue has been resolved with a firmware update released on 29.08.2016

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/pro-3-battery-faq?os=windows-10&=undefined

Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi A.User

Not helpful at all...what was the point of you even posting.

The battery issue is now fixed...it took a while but its fixed.

Time for you to go back to your Apple orchard !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

This issue has been resolved with a firmware update released on 29.08.2016

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/pro-3-battery-faq?os=windows-10&=undefined

Regards

Hi. I bought surface pro 3 2 weeks ago. It was working fine until 2 hours ago when it showed the same problem. Won't turn up until I plug in charger and would turn off immediately after I remove charger. Battery level is stuck at 70% (not charging). I checked and latest 29.08.2016 firmware is already installed. I removed it and reinstalled it. Still problem persists. Any help??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

return it for refund if it is only 2 weeks old and repurchase. if you are in the
US, you can go to a physical retail Microsoft Store. then repurchase.

>> I bought surface pro 3 2 weeks ago.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2020 Views 707 Applies to: