High CPU Usage

After checking my e-mail and reading a couple of news articles, the fan kicked on.  Seemed odd considering the table was in an air conditioned room all night and was cold to the touch when I turned it on.  Checking the task manager, I found that CPU was at 23-30% even after letting the computer sit idle for awhile with the system process being the hog.  Checked Speccy and the CPU temp was high at 55 deg.  Screen shots here: cpu screenshot.  Stays this way after reboot, in tablet/desktop mode, and with or without the keyboard attached.  Also after 1 hr. The battery drained 30% from a full charge.  I'm assuming the fan on constantly could be causing the drain.  Any suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi all,

I'm having a similar problem with sleep mode. I.e. when i press the power button on Windows 8.1 it used to go into sleep mode, from which I could wake up by pressing the power button again. But now despite supposedly going into sleep mode it just stays on with the screen turned off, but it gets hot and the fan keeps spinning. I read it's to do with display drivers: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/sleep-issues-in-windows-10/1a8ae5b4-2c79-485c-9a75-8509a7102586 but maybe someone has a different solution for a real sleep mode in windows 10?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes. Same problem here.

I tried everything but a fresh Win10 install.

The problema for me is that Windows cannot update the Intel Graphics card. So its using a general windows driver. As the backligh is always on the surface overheat and the battery drains.

Back to Windows 8.1 :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all, 

I just installed last updates (from today) and disconnected my cover.

I waited to see if it would cool down and it worked.

I'm currently testing to see if it has been solved by removing the keyboard or installing the updates (i've just connected again the cover).

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi insomniak49,

Any news?

Thank you!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Within weeks of purchase, after downloading all updates and Windows 10 too, SP3 i5, is showing signs of overheating. I wonder if this heating is tolerable or will cause harm to the device in due course of time. Has anyone found a solution or some advice from Microsoft?

Sorry this didn't help.

I upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 and started having high cpu load when idle. Through Google search, I found that this problem has been on going issue since Windows 8.1. What was strange for me is that I did not have problem until I upgraded to Windows 10. (Even clean install did not help.)

So, here's what I have tried and found about this issue.

Below is task manager when my Surface Pro 3 was in idle.

As you can see, System and System interrupts process is putting high load on CPU.

Further investigating using Process Explorer showed following.

See 2nd and 3rd line showing high load on CPU.

It is hard to see from the way processes are listed, but Interrupts process actually is part of System process.

And looking at detailed information about System process shows following.

"ACPI.sys+0x1e7f0" is what is putting high load.

Google search did not really return much information about it other than that it has to do with drivers.

This problem only occurs when SurfacePro 3 is shutdown and turned back on. Problem goes away when restarted instead of shutdown.

What I have discovered is that this has to do with Realtek Audio Driver and some people had this issue since Windows 8.1

"Wildsoldier" have described workaround here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfusingpro/surface-pro-3-high-cpu-load-when-idle-high-sysytem/d17d1332-3c00-402d-9f15-fecee27d1c45?page=16&tm=1439083892154

1. Right Click on your speaker icon on the system tray...right beside the clock.

2. Choose recording devices.

3. Select with your mouse the Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) and click on Properties.

4. Click on the "Listen" Tab.

5. Mark the option that says Listen to this device.

6. In playback through this device...select Default Playback Device.

7. Then this step is really important...Click on the "Levels" Tab.

8. Turn the volume level of the microphone to 0 and Mute the microphone as well.

9. Turn to the microphone Boost to 0 as well.

Click apply...and you are done.

Basically what this workaround does is put some sort of output to sound card by listening to microphone input.

It turns out problem occurs when there is no output to sound card. Any output to sound card (even if that is muted non-audible output) keeps sound card driver from keep requesting interrupts (I assume that is what "ACPI.sys+0x1e7f0" process is).

This workaround has a side effect. Now this will cause "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process to use about 1.5% of CPU all the time to process sound input/output. (Still better than 20 - 25% before).

Uninstalling Realtek audio driver and rolling back to default windows audio driver fixes problem, but windows update will automatically install Realtek driver.

Realtek driver from Realtek website and Microsoft have exact same problem.

I also found that this problem only occurs when microSD card is installed before Surface Pro 3 is turned on. (I have tried 2 different brand, size, and file system and problem still occurs.)

The fact problem exists when Surface Pro 3 is shutdown, but not when restarted helped me figure out next solution. (Probably the best solution until driver is fixed)

With Windows 8.1 and 10, default Shut down option does not actually shut down windows completely. It uses fast startup, which is a hybrid shutdown. Saves some Kernel data from RAM to SSD/HDD so Windows loads faster (this includes drivers). If fast startup is disabled, windows loads exact same way as restart.

So, by disabling fast startup, the problem goes away. Since Surface Pro 3 comes with a fast SSD, I do not feel much difference in boot speed. (But I see that it puts a little more load on CPU during boot up).

Also, even with fast start disabled, exact same processes that are causing high CPU load will put heavy load for about 30 seconds after boot, then it does whatever it is doing and goes away. (with fast boot, it must be failing whatever it is supposed to do and keep trying).

Here is how to disable fast boot.

1. Right click on battery icon from task bar.

2. Click "Power Options"

3. Click "Choose what the power button does"

4. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

5. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

6. Click "Save changes"

Your problem will be gone next time you restart or turn off/on your Surface Pro 3.

This clearly is a bug in sound driver or chipset. It is unclear how it relates to microSD card, but it might have something to do with power management or the way fast startup saves data.

Please reply if you have same problem so I (and hopefully Microsoft) know how many people are affected by this issue and may be find a true fix for the problem.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.  I ran Windows Performance Recorder while the issue was occurring and can supply the ETL file for analysis if desired. Like Byoung-GyuOh, the interrupts appear to involve ACPI.sys, but I don't know enough to debug any further on my own.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I see this post marked as "Answer". just wondering if anyone can share the upgrade process. I also want to confirm the following questions:

• What is your surface Pro model?
  • Can you share your firmware and windows 10 version?
  • Does your surface Pro fan keep running and its back get hot after a few minutes?
  • Can  your surface pro monitor be off after you press power button? My surface pro monitor was keeping on after I pressed power button.

If anyone have successfully correct this issue, feel free to jump in the thread.

thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

I FOUND SOMETHING NEW.

This problem happens not only with microSD card, but any USB removable storage devices. (External HDD and flash drives.)

microSD card reader built into Surface Pro 3 actually is a USB 3.0 card reader. So, I figured it might happen with USB storage devices and it did.

Hope someone figures out what is really going on in kernel level..

Sorry this didn't help.

For more details see this thread

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/the-30-cpu-at-idle-because-of-system-interrupts-issue.8623/page-4

I have an SP3 Core i5 256/8Gb and keep a 64GB SD card in the back. I have had it since Oct'14, use it for browsing at breakfast, all day in the office docked and unlocked, then in the evening for social stuff and/or games.

Updated to Windows 10 on July 29. Since then short battery life, a hot device (very noticeable as I hand-write in OneNote most of the day) and high fan speed has been frustrating me. I started digging. Found "Process Explorer", AKA "Procexp" https://www.bing.com/search?q=process+explorer. Installed that and quickly found "Hardware Interrupts and DPCs" is at 0.3% after boot, then at some point is at ~19% and stays there until reboot. Sometimes I can kill that task, sometimes I cannot. Unclear when the switch from 0.3% to 19% happens. At home it happens after playing Candy Crush, so I initially blamed that, but then at work I noticed it happens after using Lync'15 / Skype for Business / Skype for desktop, so cannot blame Candy Crush.

Then I found the (old) thread above for the SP2/3 and Windows 8. Similar/same problem for my SP3 & Win10. On my SP3 the problem only starts after a program using audio (Lync, Skype, Candy Crush) stops using audio, and persists until I use audio again or until I reboot. I removed the SD card. Problem vanished and has stayed away.

So... how to escalate to MS for a proper fix? (i.e. not just removing the SD card)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2020 Views 6,416 Applies to: