9/29/2015 firmware caused wifi "device cannot be started"

Split from this thread.

I have no idea what the update contained, other than the fact that it totally hosed my wifi. Device manager reports that the "device cannot be started". Wonderful.

Is it possible to go back to an older firmware version? If so, how?

How does something like this happen when a single company has complete control of both hardware and software? A complete lack of ability to execute a product, in my opinion.

Unbelievable, Microsoft!

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 5,623 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 02:44:21 +0000, Arnold001 wrote:

>>I know that there was an update on Sept 30, and I find the coincidence too great that suddenly I got device error messages then and now my WiFi devices don't work.  Is there a fix coming?

If you've rebooted twice and there is no change, right now the fix is to do a
System Restore back to before this firmware update was installed.

Edit 10/06/2015: Two people have reported in that uninstalling Kaspersky fixes their issue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb
Windows Experience MVP

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hey all,

Thanks for sharing the details regarding your experiences with the Surface Firmware Update from 9/29.  Barb Bowman already mentioned to perform two (2) restarts so I'm just adding a little bit more to her advice (thanks Barb).

MODERATOR EDIT (10/6/2015): I am adding/updating steps to help address Wi-Fi availability after taking the 9/29/2015 Surface Firmware Update.

Step 1 – System Restore Point
1.    After Windows Update install, Surface will automatically request a restart (not shutdown).
2.    After Surface restarts, sign in and perform another restart (not Shutdown) to finish installing the update.  Press the Windows Start Menu, press Power and select Restart.
3.    After Surface restarts, sign in and see if you can now connect to your Wi-Fi network.

If you are able to connect to Wi-Fi, no additional steps are needed.  If you are not able to connect to Wi-Fi then go to step 2 below.

Step 2 – Uninstall the Wi-Fi Driver
1.    Right-click the Windows Start Menu and click Device Manager.
2.    Double-click on Network Adapters to expand the list of network adapters.
3.    Double-click on the Marvel AVASTAR network adapter.
4.    Click on the Driver tab.
5.    Click Uninstall.
6.    Make sure that “Delete the driver software for this device” is not checked.  Click OK.
7.    Click the Action menu and click Scan for hardware changes.
8.    Restart (not Shutdown) Surface.  Press the Windows Start Menu, press Power and select Restart.

If you are able to connect to Wi-Fi, no additional steps are needed.  If you are not able to connect to Wi-Fi then go to step 3 below.

Step 3 – System Restore Point
1.    Boot Surface using USB recovery media.  If you do not have recovery media you can download from here: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage.  Once you have recovery media proceed to next steps.  Note:  The USB drive must be formatted to FAT32 (not NTFS) in order to work correctly.
2.    Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button.  When the Surface logo appears release the volume-down button.
3.    When prompted select the language and keyboard layout you want.
4.    Select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, followed by selecting System Restore then select the target operating system.
5.    In System Restore, click Next.
6.    Click on a system restore point that was prior to applying the System Firmware update. Please use a restore point 9/28 or earlier.
7.    Click Next.
8.    Click Finish.
9.    Click Yes when asked if you want to continue.
10.    After moving to an earlier restore point you should boot into Windows.

If you are able to connect to Wi-Fi, no additional steps are needed.  If you are not able to connect to Wi-Fi then go to step 2 below.

Step 4 – Reset Surface to factory settings
1.    Follow the steps in the article below to boot Surface using USB recovery media and reset Surface back to factory settings:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/usbrecovery

As always, if this information doesn't address the missing WiFi scenario we want to hear from you.

Thanks,

Josh

P.S. We are working to manage your feedback and experiences with the blue screen after update here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfusingwin10/repeated-bsod-after-firmware-update-surface-pro-3/529a1da2-3657-43f9-9af1-81c183650ce4 .  Please post comments on the blue screen scenario in that thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.