MicroSD/SD Card Reader keeps disconnecting

My SD card that I use for storage is constantly disconnecting. This has been an ongoing problem since shortly after I purchased four years ago but lately it is happening at much greater frequency. It seems to happen during a big read/write process. Here are my specs:

• Surface Pro 3
  • Windows 10, version 1803, OS Build 17134.376
  • Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader.
|

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out. To understand the issue better, let us know more details by answering the following questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to this matter?
• Did you check the Device Manager if there's an error message appeared on the card reader driver?
• Does it take long to recognize the MicroSD Card after disconnected?
• Have you tried checking the 'Properties' of the card reader driver if there's a 'Power Management' tab? If so, did you attempt to uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"? Any differences?
• Can you confirm if the issue happen when you wake it up from sleep/hibernation or from normal startup/shutdown?

To help solve this issue, we suggest that you download and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. The tool takes about 10-15 mins. to run. Once you run the toolkit, kindly follow the on-screen instructions.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answers:

• Were there any changes made prior to this matter?
    • This has been an ongoing and known problem with Pro 3. I had the Microsoft store do a clean install of the operating system cleaning the hard drive.
  • Did you check the Device Manager if there's an error message appeared on the card reader driver?
    • No error message
  • Does it take long to recognize the MicroSD Card after disconnected?
    • Does not recognize after. Must restart.
  • Have you tried checking the 'Properties' of the card reader driver if there's a 'Power Management' tab? If so, did you attempt to uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"? Any differences?
    • No Power tab.
  • Can you confirm if the issue happen when you wake it up from sleep/hibernation or from normal startup/shutdown?
    • It happens when I am in a heavy read/write mode with syncing cloud files. Computer, when on AC power, does not sleep and it happens all the time.

Ran Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. Problem persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for getting back to us. To isolate the issue further, we would like to ask a few more questions:

• Can you tell us the brand and storage capacity of the MicroSD card?
• Does it come from other device or fresh from the package?
• If it comes from the package, did you format the MicroSD card to FAT32 or NTFS? How about inserting it to other PC/laptop? Did it work?
• Were there any differences when you insert it via USB adapter (if available)?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• • Can you tell us the brand and storage capacity of the MicroSD card?
    • Samsung 256GB
  • • Does it come from other device or fresh from the package?
    • Yes
  • • If it comes from the package, did you format the MicroSD card to FAT32 or NTFS? How about inserting it to other PC/laptop? Did it work?
    • I believe NTFS, it works in other PC's and it worked. This question is far afield from the issue. When the card using the Realtek driver is connected I see it. I start a sync with cloud files and after a couple of minutes the Surface does not see it. When I do the following it works:
      • Open "Device Manager" and find non recognized device in "Other devices"
      • Righht-Click and use option "Update Driver Software..."
      • "Browse my computer...."
      • "Let me pick from a list ...."
      • from the list fine and click on "SD host adapters"
      • Choose the last one: "USB Mass Storage Device" - do not choose any "Related USB Card Reader devices"
  • • Were there any differences when you insert it via USB adapter (if available)?
    • Again, it is not the card. It is the Realtek driver. Made the change described above and it has worked now for over 12 hours.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you get your MicroSD Card working. Since the driver is already functional, you can create a system restore point in case that you encounter it again in the future. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time or go back to the last known good configuration.

Should you have any other concerns/queries, feel free to get back to us at your most convenient time.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But you are mising the point. The Realtek driver which is the one that is designed for thie version of Surface does not work. The use of a generic driver is not a fix. Again, when I am using the proper driver it does not work. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that is the case, it would be best that you get in touch with our Microsoft Support over the phone should you need an in-depth assistance. If your outside the US, you can always call our Global Support. You'll find the phone number for your country/region here.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello there,

Checking back with you if everything is good on your end? Also, we have sent a response via Private Message. Please check your inbox.       

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for reaching back. This is a known problem with SP3. I have not reached out to MS Support but this device is out of warranty so I don't think they will be much help but I will make the call.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2021 Views 3,759 Applies to: