Failed Installation of 11/18 Firmware Update

Figured I'd start this thread to keep it all in one spot.  I'm on my second SP3 with the same issue - the latest firmware update fails to install correctly, causing the N-Trig Touch Controller to go into a Code 10 state within Device manager.  Nothing solves the problem - tried refreshing, resetting, installing the update manually via the inf files.  The Touch Controller just goes into the yellow triangle Code 10 state...and there it stays.  Seems a lot of us are experiencing the same problems. 

I expect MS will have to issue a new version of the FW update to resolve the issue.  Any updates on when that might happen?

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2019 Views 1,054 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Figured I'd start this thread to keep it all in one spot.  I'm on my second SP3 with the same issue - the latest firmware update fails to install correctly, causing the N-Trig Touch Controller to go into a Code 10 state within Device manager.  Nothing solves the problem - tried refreshing, resetting, installing the update manually via the inf files.  The Touch Controller just goes into the yellow triangle Code 10 state...and there it stays.  Seems a lot of us are experiencing the same problems. 

I expect MS will have to issue a new version of the FW update to resolve the issue.  Any updates on when that might happen?

I have the exact same problem with the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware driver showing with a warning in device manager.  I have tried everything too, but nothing fixes it.  Only bought the SP3 yesterday!

I spoke to MS Support this morning and they suggested taking it back and getting a replacement, which I am considering doing tomorrow....  Although if you're saying this is the second device you've had with the problem and it could be a common issue, then maybe there's no point.

I'm not sure what to do now!?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have no idea.  My second unit began crashing every 5 minutes or so and is now completely unusable.  I've tried reformatting/resetting about half a dozen times but it doesn't fix anything.  Now I get the blue screen of death with errors that include IRQ conflicts and kernel errors.  I'm guessing it is some sort of hardware issue that is somehow related to the touch controller issue. 

I'm still waiting for MS to process my original return so that I can do an advanced exchange with this one.  They won't let me send the second one back until they process the original return... and that's taken much longer than anticipated.

If I don't get some movement out of them by CoB tomorrow then I think I'll just end up returning everything for a full refund and thus end my interlude with the Surface.  I've managed fine without it for the past week and the $1000 I spent on it is looking better served elsewhere at this point.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I did decide to get a replacement yesterday and now everything is working perfectly!

Interestingly, the store I originally purchased this from (Currys, UK) said that they have had at least 5 returned with various hardware issues just on that day alone - perhaps a dodgy batch, but still doesn't fill people with confidence, which is a real shame...  When these things are working correctly they are a joy to use!

I wouldn't blame you for looking else where, for the money, you really would expect these things to be trouble free out of the box.

I actually had an issue with my Surface 2 (RT version) too, which had a faulty battery and had to get a replacement - so this isn't the first time it's happened to me either!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello ty454,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with this issue. I'll do what I can to help you with this.

Could you give us a description of any touch related issues that you have due to this firmware failure? Do you use the device with a docking station? Could you open the listing for the firmware in Device Manager, open the details tab, and then give us the information listed when "Hardware id" is chosen from the dropdown? Did you only notice this firmware install issue with the November firmware update?

Please send us this information so that we can better help you with this issue.

Best Wishes,

Zack_T

Sorry this didn't help.

Zack, eventually the unit got to the point where it was just rebooting itself every 5 min uses or so - with fatal errors such a IRQ conflicts and kernel corruption errors.  There was obviously some sort of serious issue with the unit.  I have just received my second replacement and it appears that all is well - it went through and did the firmware update without issue and appears to be behaving normally.  So I guess my problem has been resolved, hopefully it stays that way!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am another person with problems with the 11/18 firmware update.  In fact, the update left my original SP3 unusable and it needed to be replaced by Surface Support. There were too many problems to list ranging from pen and type cover errors to freezes and system crashes.  The replacement arrived and I ran all the updates and as soon as it reached the 11/18 firmware update a couple of the problems started again.  The update progress bar only moved a fraction forward then the screen flashed a few times before restarting.  Upon going to device manager, the "firmware" for the pen is listed with an error.  The device would also hang for 90 seconds on restart and the Surface Hub app would not work. Restarting the machine again then triggered it to try to reinstall the update with the same results.  After doing a clean reset, the problem recurred at precisely the same point.  In checking the drivers supposedly updated in November, all still show the previous release.   

I have currently managed an unacceptable work around which involves uninstalling the flagged pen firmware notation in device manager (choosing to delete the drivers); then scanning the system for changes.  This then picks up the original driver and everything works, other than the fact the Surface Hub app cannot configure the pen since it has an old driver.  I then have to hide the 11/18 firmware update in Windows Update since it will otherwise try to reinstall on restart and will create all of the problems again.   

I find the situation intolerable that I need to hide your firmware update, which BTW is obviously mostly just drivers (not firmware), in order to have a stable machine.  It killed one machine and caused problems for the replacement. I also expect a solution that does not require doing another clean reset to prove your driver package is faulty again. Given there have been threads and posts around the web each time Microsoft has "fixed" the Wi-Fi drivers, and with both the 10/14 and 11/14 firmware upgrades, it would be greatly appreciated if you would try fully testing the updates before releasing them. 

With all that said, I would like an explanation of how to fix this and get back to current drivers.  I can also assure Microsoft that if the solution is another reset or machine replacement, my company's implementation of Surface Pros ends and I switch us to other solutions.  We may be small but committed across the board to SP2s and SP3s. Unfortunately every month brings at least some update quirk in both lines and those for the SP3 grow more thoroughly unacceptable every month.  Premium means more than price.  It also comes with an expectation that products perform above the threshold of the competition and do not have these sorts problems. Each month there is at least some minor nuisance. This one has been more than that - it has been crippling.    

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I did decide to get a replacement yesterday and now everything is working perfectly!

Interestingly, the store I originally purchased this from (Currys, UK) said that they have had at least 5 returned with various hardware issues just on that day alone - perhaps a dodgy batch, but still doesn't fill people with confidence, which is a real shame...  When these things are working correctly they are a joy to use!

I wouldn't blame you for looking else where, for the money, you really would expect these things to be trouble free out of the box.

I actually had an issue with my Surface 2 (RT version) too, which had a faulty battery and had to get a replacement - so this isn't the first time it's happened to me either!

Sadly, in doing what I expect Microsoft should do, it seems there are many complaints about the 10/14 and 11/14 firmware updates.  Unfortunately, people are doing as they are often inclined: whining in third party forums and looking for answers from unqualified strangers, rather than bringing the problems to Microsoft.  Long and short of it is that there are lots of problems with those two updates but the effects range from quirky and nuisance all the way to crippling (your first unit and mine).  I also find it hard to believe there are that many units out there that have some bit of defective hardware being triggered by the update and if there are that points to a serious problem with quality control.  My sense is it is a faulty (or corrupt) driver package that did not properly test for a minor hardware revision implemented during the production run. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the "me too" list on this issue as well.  While I didn't have the issues causing my machine to be unstable, the 11/18 FW update fails to install every time and given my WiFi/BT is flaky (at best) I really want to apply this update to see if things get better.

What I have done is manually delete the banged-out Surface Touch Pro Controller Firmware device in device manager (choosing to delete driver files), reboot and trying to reinstall the FW update but still no-go.

We can land a spacecraft on a *comet*...  but getting WiFi & BT to work well seems to be outside of our technical grasp...

Sorry this didn't help.

Identical problem here. Many issues during the initial set up of both my Surface Pro 3 and my wifes. With several system refreshes required to get the keyboard/pen to work on mine, and various similar issues with hers.

After all this (at several hours per reset/update), both have ended up with this same triangle warning indicator issue in the device manager with the "Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware" (Device cannot start - Code 10 - Firmware, N-Trig on Microsoft UEFI-Compliant System).

I've also noticed that my System Firmware Update for 18/11/2014 shows as failed.

Strangely the driver for the device/firmware in question indicates that it is up-to-date when I attempt to update it.

Upon instruction from Microsoft Surface Support I've factory reset one of the Surface Pro 3's, and attempted all the updates again from scratch. As would be expected, it has just ended up with exactly the same issue, (except this time I have lots of screenshots for my efforts).

I'm taking both of the SP3's back to the store tomorrow morning for a replacement and I'm hoping I can get some that work without issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 08:00:59 +0000, Nathan_AU wrote:

>>I'm taking both of the SP3's back to the store tomorrow morning for a replacement and I'm hoping I can get some that work without issues.

Suggest you see if you can get units from different batch numbers and then try
updating one while at the store. Please report back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb
Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.